Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error--too many files open 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skimo

MIS
Nov 12, 2000
US
I am not a Foxpro 2.6 person but have just been given the task of supporting the application. I have a NT 4.0 200mhz 64 meg memory machine that is running Foxpro 2.6 (not off a network-runs locally) and am getting the error on start up "too many files open". I have the config.sys set to Files=100 buffers=40, and have tried other setting to no avail. Is this a memory issue, do I need a statement in the autoexec.bat? Any help would be great--Thanks John

SKimo - I run FoxPro2.6 all day and have had that error too many times to count. The only thing that gets me around it is to cancel my application and then reboot the machine and then I'm good to go. I am running Windows 95 on a Pentium, and have 32 megs of ram, but I have my files set to 225 and buffers at 90. I dont know if this helps at all, but I havent been able to fix it any other way. Bye!

phaas@rentway.com
DP Analyst

skimo,
I'm assuming you are running a FoxPro 2.6 DOS application (since you didn't explicitly say FoxPro for Windows 2.6). Under NT, you need to add the FILES= statement to your CONFIG.NT file (usually in c:\winnt\system32\). This is what is used when you fire up a DOS emulation session - remember NT has no "real" DOS.

Rick

foxpro 2.6 is limitted when it comes to handling open databases. Try closing some of your open databases or rather open the database when needed only then close it immediately. This will free up a big space from your memory.
Hope this make sense...

Set your config.nt file to:

FILES=255
BUFFERS=80

Save it and reboot. 64mb of memory should be OK. Check the config.fp file off the foxpro26 directory, I have sent mine as follows:

FILES=99
MVARSIZ = 30
MVCOUNT = 1500
RESOURCE = c:\UTILS\FOXPRO26\FOXUSER
RESOURCE = OFF
CATALOG OFF
CATMAN=OFF
MEMLIMIT=20,4096,16384

The content of it should be similar to the above. The second and third line allow for more memory variables to be open than normal. And the MEMLIMIT line limits foxpro to grabbing a maximum of 20% available memory, not less than 4096 and not more than 16384.

Hope this helps.

Sikmo - I am working on foxpro 2.6 under DOS + Novell 4.X and have experienced a simmiler problem. The key to this is in the method to open the files. In my current application I am using allmost 45 files.

Whenever you open a file , open the work area with
SELECT 0 && sele zero
use xyz.dbf

If you are using sele A or sele 1 etc., chances of getting the message as too many files open is very much there.

So please try it with sele 0 ( when you use sele zero , the system opens the files in the next available lowest work area. )

Please let me know if this works.

Rajarama ( Programer )

I use Windows ME as platform & my accounting software is developed in Foxpro ver. 2.5. Whenever I start my accounting
Package a Error Message Appears Like "Too Many files open",
it happend only in windows Me Platform. Before I used Windows 98 Platform, there was no Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back