Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error 'this device cannot start (code 10)'

Status
Not open for further replies.

milomorai

Technical User
Sep 21, 2003
US
i had to do a repair install on my system after it got hosed by a program i installed and am now getting that error in my nic properties. i have tried different cards, installed the latest drivers, had windows search for the hardware after reboot and uninstalled/reinstalled it w/o a reboot but still no change even installed sp1 and other updates/patches. what next?

I really have little clue what your issue may be, but the first place to start if you have been changing, uninstalling, messing with your NIC is a clean Winsock service stack. This free utility will try to sort known issues with the Winsock service:
Please advise again with specific error messages from you event log after using the utility, and re-doing your TCP/IP proterties.

One other remedy I would take, prior to running the repair above, would be to boot into Safe Mode as Administrator. Run Device Manager, View, Show all hidden devices, and remove any greyed-out entries, and any entry other than those noted as "Mini-port" devices.

Then boot to regular mode and run the Winsock repair above.

Bill

thanks for the tips - decided just to bite the bullet and reformat her pc, do a fresh install and image it. have posted this on several different forums and nobody seems to have a real solution but the tips i got here were among the best.

Gavi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back