Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERROR: The Credentials Conflict With An Existing Set Of Credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryH

MIS
Oct 23, 2000
US
My personal PC is setup with a working Computer Name (THOUCHINS) & Workgroup (MIS).
I've decided after two years I want to change it from Workgroup to Domain.
* When I click the radio button on Domain for MEMBER OF, I add the Domain name (FUJIKOKI).
* It asks me to enter an account with permission to join the domain, so I enter my Admin Name and Password.
* That's when I get the message "the credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials".

My PC works great in the Workgroup but I can't change it over to a Domain.
What are the steps I need to do?

Thanks,
Terry Houchins
Fujikoki America
Network Coordinator

does the domain already exists in your network? or you want to creat a domain with that Name?

You say your personal computer. Is this on a network? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"For last year's words belong to last year's language".
T. S. Eliot (1888-1965), Anglo-American poet.

What OS is the server running.

What OS is the computer in question running?

Check the DC and see if an account already exists for that client, if it does remove it. Stop and start the BINL service and then try to rejoin.

I know this sounds stupid but...
Do you have a server in place ?
You didn't mention anything about it.
Making me wondeer if there is a domain to join...

We are all connected to a Server with a domain name of FUJIKOKI.
The server runs NT4, the workstations run Win2000.
Most of our PC's are setup in a WORKGROUP environment.
And we attach to the Domain thru what ever Workgroup their workstation is in.
I am now wanting to unattach the PC's from their Workgoups and move directly into a Domain.
All I should have to do is click the button above the Workgroup name and add the Domain name on Win2000.
This is not working.

Hi Terry. On the affected machine go to a command prompt and run a NET USE. If you see ANY type of connection reference to the DC (even one without a drive mapping), remove it by doing a NET USE <connection-name> /d. Then try joining the domain again...

I did the NET USE on the PC in question and it brought up several mappings but none that shows the DOMAIN SERVER.
It did show several mappings to our two network servers, FUJIFS & FUJIMAIN, but not the Domain Server FUJIKOKI.

Are those 2 other FUJI servers members of the domain? If so, that qualifies as conflicting credentials. Tell you what, why not just eliminate all these mappings anyway, and try to join the domain again...?

Yes, we have two servers, FUJIFS and FUJIMAIN.
They are both members of the FUJIKOKI Domain.
I'll delete all mappings and try again.

Thanks

Well that fixed the problem.
I had to disconnect all of my drive mappings.
Because I had several mappings that were created under the local PC, it wouldn't let me join the main Domain Controller until they all removed.

Thanks for the help.

When I've seen this problem, it was because I was trying to MAP to a machine that already had another mapping using a different account name than the one I was trying to use. The solution was to map the 2nd (or more) mapping using the same account that the original mapping was made with, or delete the original mapping if not needed. Hope you get the gist of what I'm saying, probably could be better stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back