Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error setting a tempvar 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

valgore

Technical User
Nov 12, 2008
US
So i have two temp vars. one called tempRecordSet and the other is called tempRecordSet2. tempRecordSet2 doesn't work. i know why, but i dont know how to fix it.
Code:
Set tempRecordSet2 = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("select * from AmexCurrent where UCase(trim(AmexCurrent!Cardholder Name!)) = '" & Tempvar_CCN)

it is erroring out on UCase(trim(AmexCurrent!Cardholder Name!))
it doesnt like the space between Cardholder and Name. what do you use to tell Access that thats actually one field? i have tried using "Cardholder Name"! and [Cardholder Name]! but those dont work.

any help would be appreciated

Valgore

Hmm ,that's exactly what it should be saying.

And you're getting records where the AmexCurrent![Cardholder Name] isn't like DOE, JANE?

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little. - Joe Martin

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

Here's a crazy idea [wink], Try this:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm "YourDataFormName", acNormal, , "[Cardholder Name] Like '*" & Tempvar_CCN & "*'"

HarleyQuinn
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little. - Joe Martin

no. it works perfectly. i log in as DOE, JANE and it filters on DOE, JANE. if i log in as BROWN, JIM, it filters on BROWN, JIM. my quesiton is how do i then move that filter so it works on AmexCurrent.

Why don't you just amend the data on the form?

HarleyQuinn

that works too. but doing it this way wont work for what we want i dont think.

so your saying use the Form for each person and then you can transfer the charges from the form to AmexHistorical? i am SO confused now...

Ah right.

I've got to go now but I'll be back on Monday to check up on developments

HarleyQuinn

ok i was way too confused and i had my IT manager come in and explain it to me. it works perfectly. it works just the way we want. i don't think we need anything else.
i want to thank you SOOOOOOOO much for all of your help. you have no idea how frustrated i was until you helped me

Valgore

[Cardholder Name] Like '*" & Tempvar_CCN & "*'"

I believe with this code you will run into problems with names containing an apostophe e.g. O'Sullivan, where the result will be: [Cardholder Name] Like '*O'Sullivan*'

This may be preferred: "[Cardholder Name] Like ""*" & Tempvar_CCN & "*"""
To produce this: [Cardholder Name] Like "*O'Sullivan*"

Or have I barked up the wrong tree? Happy to be corrected ... I try to learn at least one new thing a day - considering how little I know, that's easy ...

[smile] thx for the post OzFoxy, but i think HarleyQuinn solved my problem.

Valgore

Valgore - glad I could help, thanks for the star [smile]

HarleyQuinn

ok... one last question. should be pretty easy. all i want to do is say if CategoryCode field in AmexCurrent has something in it, i dont want it to show on that form we made.

Valgore

Something like:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm "YourDataFormName", acNormal, , "UCase(trim(AmexCurrent![Cardholder Name])) Like '*" & Tempvar_CCN & "*' and AmexCurrent![CategoryCode] = ''"
Hope this helps

HarleyQuinn

i didnt work. i didnt give me any records, but thats ok. i need to move on from this part [smile]
thanks for trying

Valgore

i hate to restart this thread again, but i encountered a minor problem. when i log in and click the categorize charges button, it goes to the form and there isnt any data in the fields. if i take the filter off and put it back on, it filters fine. any ideas?

Valgore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back