Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error sending pages to IIS testing server

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzi2

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
GB
I have recently had my PC rebuilt with XP pro and have also installed MX for the first time. I used to use Ultradev 4.

I have done all the configuration as per usual - and I have confirmed it with numerous books and websites. However, when I send pages to view on my testing server (IIS on my local machine) I get a 404 file not found error.

On checking my IIS console it tells me that my website has stopped. When I try to start it I get the error code 0x8ffe2740.

My site used to work with Ultradev 4 on win 98 running PWS.

Am I completely missing something? Any help greatly appreciated.

Sorry - forgot to mention, I have tried using the "Test URL" function in the basic site definition and it tells me that dreamweaver can not use this type of prefix. I am using the DW default setting of

Do you have an Inetpub directory, like you did with PWS? I'm not positive on this, but I don't think you can check from DW without saving the page in that directory first.

Nancy

Nancy,

I have an Inetpub directory and the files have been copied into it.

I aslo tried creating a completely new site on a win XP PC that had never had Ultradev on it and it refuses to find my pages.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Do you have Zone Alarm on your PC. This can cause conflicts with IIS, and it's best to turn Zone Alarm off before doing any localhost testing.

Also check you can view the IIS documentation from the folder in Inetpub

I don't have zone alarm on my PC.

I can't view the .asp files in the Inetpub folder - it says 404 file not found.

When I test the URL prefix in Dreamweaver during site files setup, it tells me that Dreamweaver cannot use this type of URL prefix, even though it is the one it fives you by default?

I'm at a complete loss now. Do you have any other possibilities?

The problem has nothing to do with Dreamweaver, I don't think, but instead with your web services. When you attempt to start them does the error provide any more information than the hex string you provided?

Many thanks for all your help. I

It is simply: unexpected error 0x8ffe2740 occured

I would also suspect that it is the web services - although they worked OK with Ultradev 4.

Remember that you had your computer rebuilt with XP Pro -- again, the error has nothing whatsoever to do with Dreamweaver vs. UltraDev. Your issue is with a web server successfully running under your old OS and not running under the new OS.

The problem appears to be related to something else already using port 80 (the default port for web services). ZoneAlarm was mentioned and is a good candidate, but you noted that you aren't running it. Are you running any other kind of firewall or proxy server? If you're running a proxy server, you can move it to port 8080 instead. If you're uncertain you may need to ask the person who set up the machine.

Somewhere some application or service is already using port 80 so Web Services can't use it.

Some links that describe the problem, just FYI:

And most importantly, it appears it was answered here successfully (just saw it so I won't delete the rest of my post) here in Tek-Tips in the IIS forum:

Thanks - I'm certainly on the right track now...

I am now using Port 8180 - which my IT dept tell me is available. I can now view the iisstart.asp page icon in the IIS administrator window. Unfortunately, I still get 404 file not found when I type

in the browser. I can't see anything else that I'm doing wrong. Any other thoughts as to what I'm missing - (other than a brain...)

Thanks

Susan

Suzie,

By chance, have you been able to solve this problem. I'm trying to open an .asp page on my local iis machine and can not.

IIS is working because I can open a .htm but just not an .asp.

In my mind, I wonder if its an asp/asp.net issue. I appears that the file is just being interpreted. I'm using ASP VBscript as the server.

Please let me know if you have fixed your problem on this. It appears I'm having the same one.

Thanks for any help. Happy New Year.

Terry
terry@iwearwatches.com

Terry,

Do you have IIS set to allow scripting on that virtual directory? Right click the virtual directory in IIS and select Properties, then look for execute permission (at the bottom of the screen that comes up). It should be set to "Scripts Only".

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

pixl8r,

Thank you for your quick feed.

Yes, I do have the 'Scripts only' selected.

On a very rare occasion, I was able to get an ASP 2011 error reported back. Which only means that the ASP tried to deliver the page. I haven't been able to duplicate this nor get it to even run a very basic page that only has <%=Time %> in it.

I'm wondering if its a permissions thing or something. I'm really pulling my hair out. Been at this for many hours now.

Strange. Thank you for the input.

Terry
terry@iwearwatches.com

Hi Terry,

It was a long time ago but as far as I can remember there were 2 things 1) was the port I had been using was wrong and 2) was a permissions issue - I think I didn't have full admin rights to the Inetpub folder or something.
Don't know if this info helps you much but it may give you other ideas to try. Good luck with it.

Susan

Terry,

you can perform a really quick check on ASP working through port 8080.

Download free WebMatrix software from ~ 1.4 mb
Install it.
It will also install & configure its own small WEB SERVER (similar to PWS) for running aspx pages through 8080 port.
You'll have NOTHING to configure - just install WebMatrix, open it and create a new page or use their supplied examples.
Then hit F5 to start Matrix server and to run this page.
It always worked for me on many different PC with WinXP Home and Pro.
Although your pages will have .aspx extension you can use classic asp code, objects, methods & ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back