Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error saving Excel97 to network drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

menderless

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2002
US
We are running WinXP SP1 Client with the Novell Client 4.83 SP1, with a Novell 5.1 Server. And when a client is working in Excel 97 (Office 97 Suite) and trying to save to a network drive they are receving the following error: "Your changes could not be saved to "Book 1", but were saved to a temporary document named '202b3000'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and save it under a new name. There is a KB artical pertaning to this error for novell 4.1 Q113600 but did not provide the fix for me. Is there anyone else with this problem? If so please help.
Thanks

Make sure that the user has full rights to the folder including erase. because erase is part of a file save.

Rbrigando,

The users have 100% full rights to that drive.

Thanks

I've been having the exact same problem myself. It also occurs under officeXP. Suggestions would be welcome. ~Apex1x
Sattinger's Law:
It works better if you plug it in.

apex1x
ARe you running Norton Anti-virus 7.6 Corporate Edition?
I've seem some KB articles stating that a AV program can cause this problem. This problem is driving me crazy, and I cant seem to get it fixed.

Yeh, as a matter of fact I am running 7.6 corporate edition. Do you know of any articles/fixes for this?
Also, while we're talking about norton, I find that some clients get bluescreens when they login or logoff. The bluescreen has an error with a norton file. Any ideas? ~Apex1x
Sattinger's Law:

If this file caching is such a problem, why does novell keep making it default on? ~Apex1x
Sattinger's Law:

Setting the client cache off will not solve the problem that we are experincing.

Thanks

No? Then what do you propose will help? ~Apex1x
Sattinger's Law:

Have you tried setting file caching off?

Also, what network configuration is the PC running? 10/100Mb Half/Full duplex? It definately appears to be a situation whereby the workstation is loosing communication with the server during saving. Are you suffering any disconnection errors or such like?

Also, have you tried the same with Office 2000 or even Office XP on your XP workstation?

The Microsoft TID below may be of use, if not much comfort:

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Depending on what SP you 5.1 server is you may need to apply
TCP/IP stack for NetWare 5.1 SP 4 - TID10069769 . This was the fix for a lot of client freezing/slow situations at our site. It would take minutes to save a Word or excel file. Also had a lot of trouble hosting Filemaker Pro databases over TCP/IP connection.

Jim

I have found the solution: The problem was NAV 7.6 causing excel to not save files correctly. The problem was resolved by upgrading the servers and workstations to NAV 8.0.

Was the problem fixed just with excel or other office programs? ie. word ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

Well we were only seeing the problem with EXCEL so I would not know if it fixes the package or not. But if have a legall copy of Norton they will give you 7.61 upgrade from 7.6 for free. So contact them and see what your options are. Good Luck

Ok, I will contact them.
Do you have any idea what the previous version was doing to stop you from saving properly? ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:

I found that updating all the novell clients to the latest version helped. ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back