Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERROR registry data not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferndoc

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
US
FWIW: I finally took the time to track down this annoyance. The anonymous message pops up during logon and requires user intervention. Its title is "ERROR" and its prompt is Registry data not found ! and its only button is OK. I'm posting because the question of its origin is oft asked but rarely answered.

In my case it was caused by entry "ledpointer=CNYHKey.exe" in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

I have no idea what registry data is lost, how it happened or how to restore it. Neither can I guess what functionality has been lost -- since I never had an LED pointer.

I looked up the vendor: Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd. and while they are proud of their quality their website is the typical diode -- all output, no input. The message did not hit in their internal search. Perhaps they're oblivious. It appears that their US branch has ignored the website.

I occasionally use a Compaq wireless keyboard with this laptop and I remember being incredibly annoyed with its autoinstalled software and that I removed same through the control panel. This is possibly a remnant.

Chicony has another entry in the same section of my registry "CHotkey=mHotkey.exe". It has caused no trouble to date but it might become one of the usual suspects based on Chicony's evidently casual coding practices.

mHotKey.Exe is a known culprit of this error, you could look at preventing it from running at Start Up or make sure your user has sufficient access permissions to any Registry Keys which mention it.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Gee thanks. I guess my point was that the error was caused by a different culprit, namely CNYHKey.exe (which I tracked down by exporting the key, doing a binary search with half-set deletions in my registry and then reimporting the key before testing again). Was fast and simple enuf.

I suppose everything that Chicony turns loose might be suspected of causing anonymous error messages in multi-user environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back