Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error registering COM+ application

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaceyG

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
US
I have created my first COM+ application on a 2000 Server and now am creating the application proxy to install to a client. Following microsoft's instructions, I copied the .msi file to the client machine (also 2000) and double-clicked. I get the following error message, "Error registering COM+ Application. Contact your support personnel for more information." Any ideas?

Hi StacyG,

Perhaps you can try using the COM+ admin application via the Control Panel on the client machine to install the client proxy instead of double clicking on the .MSI file?

Please, don't be offended, but are you sure the proxy .MSI file you created is the client one and not the server one. It's very easy to forget to change the radio button setting when creating a proxy?

When in doubt, delete the COM+ services, delete the proxys, re-compile the Server DLL and start the installation and deployment again.

Hope this helps,
Gavin.

Yes, that's ok. I'm sure that I used the application proxy and thanks for having me check that since I'm new to components. I've retried several times to be sure. Going through the control panel to create the component does work perfectly. However, I am creating a 3 tiered application in Visual Basic and the client side will be installed on almost 50 machines. I was hoping to just include the application proxy .msi file in my package for install to ease in the installation of this software. For now, it looks like the component services is my only option unless you or anyone else has any other ideas. Thanks for your time!
Stacey

If you use late-binding technology you donot need to register the components on client side.Of course it is slower than early-binding but it is easy to maintain and dispatch.

Regards! zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

I thought I was using late binding. AARGH!(see my code below)
Maybe I'm not completely understanding the concept.
I was thinking, by referencing the Reports .DLL in this way, I didn't have to specify what server to use. Then my VB program goes to the registry to find the Reports .DLL and instead finds the stub (application proxy) that points to the correct server.

Dim objreports As Object
Set objreports = CreateObject("Reports.clsReport")
objreports.ShowReport "DRDisputesWOSubmit"
Set objreports = Nothing

From your code i donot think it is late-binding because late-binding doesnot need to look up the registry.Here is some delphi code snippet:
with dcomConnection do
try
ComputerName := 'my_server_computer_name';
Connected := True;
AppServer.my_method(...); //late binding
finally
Connected := False;
end;
Regards! zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

Please copy msvcrtd.dll to a folder from VC in your client machine and set system path to the folder..The exported package gets installed.

We develope our MTS-Obj. with DELPHI 5 and the only way we fixed this error was to install DELPHI(5) on the client! It works! cu uli

We use delphi 5 to develop COM+ application.We donot need to do anything except copying the midas.dll to system32 directory of client box.

Regards! IPO_z@cmmail.com
Garbage in,Garbage out

Message to StaceyG regarding 'error registering com+ application'. Just a matter of interest are you using Crystal Reports v8? If not forget it, if so then the installation of this corrupts some of the registry permissions. This means the development machine will have probs and there is a workaround on the crystal website. However on clients with only the runtime on them should install the components fine.

On the client if the component already exists, make sure you uncheck 'Disable Deletion' because enabling this makes installing the .MSI file impossible.

Hi stacy
I was bugged with same problem yest. I have windows 2000 server and i have deployed component on it
For app. proxy I got the above problem.
The cause is due to incorrect registry entries.
The solution works fine if the Server component has crystal reports 8.0 on it.
Go to the site
Download the zip. Extract and run it.
After wards the application proxy will get installed.
Cool man.........lost a day but happy enough could debug in a day

Hello,

I created a VB.NET event class and registered in COM+ using the regsvcs.exe. Now I want to create an application proxy for this component and install it in a client machine. I'm successful in creating the MSI, while installing it in the client machine I get the error, "Error registering COM+ application, Contact...." I tried using the com+ explorer and it failed too saying there was not type library available for these components. How do I over come this problem.? Does Regsvcs.exe not load the type lib for that component in that application also?

HELP ME!!!

thanks,
chris

Hai there...
I got 2 question:

Question 1

I got the same problem when installing the client application proxy. Although i follow all the above step, like running client .MSI through control panel instead of double clicking it at the client, the same problem persist. "Error registering COM+ application. please contact .....".

i've already setup setup .MSI to be client not server.

Question 2
i used COM+ Admin to raise my event. I noticed the event is only supported by Windows 2000 only. Is there any possibality to run under Win NT , Win 98 etc.

I really need your help.

Thanks
zack

Try re-registering comsvcs.dll (and probably even comuid.dll).

After that, make sure to copy the MSI to the client, and then install the MSI.

Hai All Cute Babies,
I have the similar problem running MSI and not one website provide me the solution i needed. Even microsoft is stupid!

Here's how to run the MSI without prompting the annoying error message. After created the MSI file,
1. Unregister all your Dlls in the package using Dos prompt.. type regsvr32 /u <DLL Filename>
or watever method other than MTS

2. Delete all Dlls in the package
3. Delete the package
4. Then run the MSI!!! that's all babies :)

Steven
twwon1@yahoo.com

Be sure that you aren't getting .TLBs into the .MSI. This may cause invalid registry entries. Include only .DLLs into the package.

Juan Manuel
jmcont@hotmail.com

Hi, my problem :

(0x8004E002) The root transaction wanted to commit, but transaction aborted

if add my com to Services Component

Regards.

Tanks.

Hi ,

I have created a COM DLL. WHen i call the dll through VB in windows NT, it works perfectly. while calling the DLL through VB in the debug mode [Windows 2000 environment], it reports me an automation error the first time and continues working later. Why this error occurs ?

help me out in this regard.

Ashok.S

Hello

When we are doing the transation the error occur
&quot;214716158 Unexpect Error 0x8004e002&quot;.
Even thought the connection is good, most of the time occur unexpected error.

regards
khinsuu@y2001.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back