Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: "there has been a signature failure" 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajlueth

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2003
US
I get this error message after booting after ghosting a WinXP box. I need help! If anyone knows what this means, please tell me. I've tried to update the BIOS & taht's about it.

Thanks,

ALueth

Hello,
I am having the same problem after ghosting a xp machine. Have you had any luck in correcting this?
Thanks for any help
Don

I was having this same issue after ghosting an IBM T42 with WinXP. After hours of troubleshooting and trying to fix it, I determined that it was the hard drive. I called IBM and they are sending me a replacement. Their only suggestion that "might" fix the problem is to low-level format the drive. they suggested "trying" a low level format. I had already formatted, fdisked and reformatted the drive and reimaged with the same result. Using a known good drive in the chassis showed it to be a drive issue since that booted with no problem. Best of luck to you with this issue. If you try the low level and it works please post back and let me know.

I also called IBM & was told this is not a hardware issue, but most likely some sort of software issue. I asked if sysprep could be the culprit b/c I used setupmgr.exe to create an answer file & she said yes. I tried to wipe the hard drive & start over using the same image. No luck, so I tried the image on a new out-of-box IBM & same issue. So I redid the sysprep on my image & then it worked on both PCs. I ended up not using the setupmgr.exe but rather just resealed the PC. Don't have time to figure out what the issue was on that one. Hope you solve your issues too!

I also use sysprep but this image has been used many times with great success. No problems prior to this one. As a curious creature I may be too tempted to not dig further with this. Thanks for the information. How do you replace the answer file within an image? I ran sysprep before taking the image of the original machine.
Thanks!!

I also have been having the same issues with the IBM T42. It started as just one machine and now I have four to fix. I called IBM and got that it wasn't a hardware issue, it was software. So after hours of testing and research I have finally found the answer.

When you load your image to the server you must use a -IB switch;same thing when you load the image back to the PC.
The -IB switch (Image Boot) forces a sector-by-sector copy, and copies the entire boot track; not just the boot sector)

I have tried this solution and have corrected the problem on all four of my laptops. Hope this works for everybody else.

Here is a link to a description of the problem and solution in greater detail.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is and where do I set an -IB switch? I have since also discovered that the problem seems to be with my Sysprep file. This particular image has worked many times previously for IBM T42's so I am not sure what has happened to cause it to suddenly behave thusly. Thanks for your answer and help.

I also have had the same issues, where some will work and some won't. What happens is ghost default settings only images 1 sector of the boot record. IBM switched 3rd party software for there rescue and recovery software. This new software uses 4 sectors in it boot record. If you use the -IB switch it forces ghost to copy the entire boot record.

What you have to do is edit your network boot disc. Edit the autoexec.bat file. The last line should say look like this.

GHOST.EXE

Just add your switch at the end of this command -

GHOST.EXE -IB

Then you will have to dump a new image to your server using this boot disk. You will also have to use this same disk when you load the image to your pc's.

Hope this helps you out.

My Ghost boot disk works for the T40, T41 and the T42 since they all have the same type of mini-PCI NIC. I was able to put an image for the T41 on the T42 machine. I don't think it is a setting in the boot disk. Same hard drive, same chassis, same boot disk, different image than before. I believe it is something in the image. I am inclined to think that it may be the Sysprep file as suggested in previous posts.

Just so everyone knows, I was having this issue on ThinkCentre PCs, not Thinkpads. I will try the IB switch & see what happens.

I had the same problem on a IBM A50 Thinkcentre but changed from "reseal" to "factory" when running SYSPREP.
After that it worked!

I had the same problem on an IBM A50 Thinkcentre but changed from "factory" to "reseal" when running SYSPREP.
After that it worked!

the microsoft support website addresses an entirely different issue. This thread is about an error message received before the Windows splash screen will even appear. It is not an error about Digital Signatures from applications or websites.

Having tried all of the listed suggestions to no avail, this worked a treat.

Create IBM Product Recovery floppy disk. You need access to another ThinkCentre/Pad for this. In C:\IBMTOOLS run RRDisk.bat. This creates the recovery disk. Boot the problem PC from this disk. It seems to write back to the hdd and overcome the signature problem. If the batch file runs without error, remove the disk and reboot, and hopefully it should boot into xp.

Matt

Hello,

I currently work for a school in Rochester, NY and we are cloning these IBM R51 laptops and experienced ALMOST the same problem. I cloned 8 laptops the first time and when I rebooted 3 out of the 8 worked. 5 of them came up and had "There has been a signature failure" across the screen over n over. What makes this so weird is how 3 out of the 8 works. I recloned the 5 that did not work and the same error occured. What sucks is I have to figure out how to fix this cause we have about 40 more in the back waiting to be setup. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Hello,
I currently work for a school in Rochester, NY and we are cloning these IBM R51 laptops and experienced ALMOST the same problem. I cloned 8 laptops the first time and when I rebooted 3 out of the 8 worked. 5 of them came up and had "There has been a signature failure" across the screen over n over. What makes this so weird is how 3 out of the 8 works. I recloned the 5 that did not work and the same error occured. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

MonkeyMan
I don't have the same model and RRDISK.BAT is not on this computer. Do you think if you sent me that file it would correct the problem? Please respond asap.

Monkman:
Where does one get the RRDisk.bat? I am unable to find it on the same model out of the box laptop. (thinkpad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back