Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error " The specified user already exists" when joining the domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenrx7

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2002
US
I have a 2003 box I'd like to join to my existing domain. When I try to add the box I receive " the specified user already exist" error. The box I'm trying to add, was orginally the PDC of this domain but I had to reinstall over the WINNT directory to fix a few problems. Any sugestions why I'm receiving this error?

Josh McMahon
A+ Certified,CCNA
jmcmahon@lexgen.com

Go into AD users and computers and search for the computer account of the machine you are trying to add. Once you find it delete it. Then let AD cook(replicate) for a bit. Then go back and try to re-join the domain. Not sure why it is giving you a user already exists error. Just an Idea.

Z

OK I'll try that, remeber the box was a PDC so I moved the computer account into the computers OU. I didn't try to delete it from there. If not, I'll provide the error tomorrow..thanks guys

Josh McMahon
A+ Certified,CCNA
jmcmahon@lexgen.com

When you originally removed this computer from the domain, did you do a DCPROMO to let AD know it wasn't a DC anymore?

If you did not, check your FSMO roles and make sure that each of your DCs knows what server has what and that they all agree. If not, you need to Seize the roles and clean up the metadirectory of entries for the server you removed.

Take a look in the Win2K Forum FAQ under AD. There you will find info on forcefully removing a DC from AD. Run the script to clean up your metadirectory. It is a lot nicer than doing it by hand. The script was provided to me from Microsoft Premier Support.

When you hit the point where it asks you if you want to create a user on the domain, are you trying to recreate an existing user? like the admin?

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back