Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: "Field cannot be updated" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulorlowski

Programmer
Jul 10, 2001
US
When I open a form based on a query with three tables, I get the error.

MS Knowledge base article "Error Updating Field When Adding New Record to Form (Q207684)" says there's a known problem if there's a default value associated with the field or an expression neither of which apply here.

If I press OK 8 times the message goes away and I can proceed.

Anyone know what gives?

Paul Orlowski
360 371-1355

I've run into this a few times before. I was able able to get things working with a reimport into a blank database, but I also noticed I haven't seen any recurrences of this since Office2k SR1-SP2.

Might be coincidental, but if you're not up to date, it might be worth a stab.

Good suggestion. Do you export all the objects of just the front end or the backend too?

I'm already on Access 2K. The db started on Access 2 and converted through 97 up to 2K a year ago and I think that has given me some unexplained failures too.

Thanks,
Paul

Since you have it split in two, I would start with the frontend and import all objects in the frontend.

I have seen problems that showed up later down the road from converted databases. Especially with things like code not running or attaching to controls on forms, etc. The reimport into a blank database is a last resort (because it is a little bit of a pain, but it's a good trick to get things working again.)

For whatever reason, Access MDB's can get out of whack where a normal Repair and Compact won't help and it seems the only way to easily fix things is to do this import.

If you still experience problems after that, I would suggest importing the backend into a new database as well.

At least you have nothing to lose with this option, since your original MDB's stay intact.

I've imported objects from the front and back end MDB's into separate new files and repaired and compacted, but still get the error.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back