Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: "Cannot open logging port to x.x.x.x" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

froud

Technical User
Oct 28, 2003
US
I have a Cisco 2600 Series Router that has a T1 CSU/DSU installed. I am unable to 'break' the boot sequence (tried ALL of Cisco's recommendations), even tried removing the flash memory so that I could change the confreg through ROMMON. The system boots up, but I am unable to type anytihing at the 'ROMMON >' prompt.

Here is the complete output;

===========================================================
System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

bus error while trying to access flash - addr = 0x60000000
cannot read flash info
getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero
bus error while trying to access flash - addr = 0x60000000
cannot read flash info
getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero
open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0
trouble reading device magic number
boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 >
===========================================================

And that's as far as I can get.

When I put the flash memory back in, I get the following at the very end of the boot sequence;

=========================================
Cannot open logging port to x.x.x.x
Cannot find community public

Press RETURN to get started!
=========================================

And once again, I can go no further.

I am a novice when it comes to Cisco products, I was just trying to restore this router to 'factory default' to begin my CCNA studies.

Grateful for any and all assistance.

You've tried using the CTL+BRK when router is booting and it won't break the boot sequence? I'm assuming you don't get any more FLASH errors when the flash is inserted into the router either right?

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

What kind of terminal are you trying to break the router with? It does not work well with win 2k, NT or XP. You need to use Win98.

Make sure flow control is disabled in your terminal session and that it's 8 none 1. The problem seems to be the console, not the router and that's why you can't type anything.

Haveagoodun!
Nettekkie1010

IPKONFIG - Correct, and correct. Removing the flash and booting to ROMMON was Cisco's ONLY possible solution. When that didn't work, they pretty much said it was knackered. Of course, they won't RMA it.

PuppetX (ISP) Oct 29, 2003 - I'm using Win2K, not sure I even HAVE a machine with 98 on it! I'll have to install one (if I can remember how it's done! :)

Nettekkie1010 - Yep, all settings were as you noted. I tried just about every combination there is with 3 different cables. It just doesn't want to play with me.

Regardless, many thanks to you all for your prompt replies.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back