Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Printing with HP Plotter - other printers work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcwinont

Technical User
Aug 9, 2003
CA
Thanks in advance for any insight and help.

Here's my problem. I am running MS Small Business Server 4.5, updated to SP6, a variety of printers on a 100baset network, all of work fine EXCEPT for a HP plotter (please note that the plotter is on a Jetdirect 500x print server).

What happens is that when any user other than an administrator send a print to his plotter, the server will pop up a 'Printers Folder' window and say 'Error writing to 10.0.0.18 for Docuement xxxxx: The specified port is unknown. Do you wish to retry or canel the job?'

I've changed with Microsoft Knowledge Base and there was a known issue with this and suggested a fix where I assigned the 'EVERYONE' with 'CHANGE' for the type of access for my 'C:\WINNT.SBS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\' folder. However, this didn't help.

This does not affect my other printers including another HP product, a HP LaserJet 4V. I am really stumped on this one. Might it be the JetDirect? Should I try a straight parallal port connection instead?

Even if I go to any workstation, lot in and do a test page, it'll work only because I'm the administrator in my office. The only way I can get people to give them administrator access and there's no way I want to do that for the simple reason of security.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The pararel thing is a good idea... do it (but you gonna need a device such as intel's netport or a pc acting as print server ? ).
It will narrow down the problem rules out network problem. If it works it's the jetdirect. The fact that admin can access it doesn't dimiss this possibility.
I've encounter a so called 'plug and play' NIC that seems to remember only the ip of the pc where it is first installed.

BootSector:

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I haven't tried the parallel cable route just yet. Does anybody have anymore to add to this? I really don't want a parallel cable snaking from my server over to the plotter and have people trip over it. I guess I could put up a basic Win98 machine together for it but that defeats the purpose of using the server to print out documents.

Thanks in advance.

TCWINONT

You have to program the jet direct. Check out HP web site for instuctions. I am assuming that your IP is incorrect. What you want to do is run HP Network print wizard to program the Jet Direct. Then tell the server what port the printer is on. That would be the IP of the jet direct. This should solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back