Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error performing inpage operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleJ

Technical User
Sep 20, 2000
US
w2k or xp pro. Our office moves allot of files/images across our network. When we use windows explorer cut or paste we get "error performing inpage operation". I have read "Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 141117". However, does not give a fix. This error happens quite a bit, to the point where you have to baby sit the task. Another, note if we use "Robocopy" this is not an issue.

thanks for the help

1. Does the file copy incompletely (i.e. 50%), or does it just not start copying at all?

2. How large are the files?

3. Are the network shares you are copying them to mapped? That will make a difference...

4. Make sure your workstations have static IPs assigned too.

Matt

The file copy starts fine and appears to be running fine. You can see the progress "images" being copied. No exact as to when it crashes 5min into the copy or 1hr.

The file or files are anywhere from 1 mb to gb's.

Not sure about the "share" some are a network share folder. However, not a mapped network share. Generally a file copy is from "\\server1\d$\file to \\Server2\e$\file".

Our servers do have static and our workstations do not have static. Can you explain why that would matter! I would appreciate it.

Just a good preference. I prefer solid, static communications, than communications that change. Especially when you could be renewing an ip address in the middle of a copy. I'd assign workstations static ip addresses, and try mapping the drives (if you are running ad, you can create login scripts).
Also, I know of a good program that does a good job at copying files, but you will have to purchase it.

Double Image

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I hear ya about static ip's. However, all of our servers are static and we still have the same issue. I will try "mapping the drives" to see if that clears the prob.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back