Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error opening Jpg 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrcPo6rk

Technical User
Feb 21, 2005
US
Error is as follows...

Gimp Message

Plug-In crashed: "jpeg.exe"
(F:\Program Files\GIMP\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\jpeg.exe)

The dying Plug-In may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

I've been getting this error message on a Windows XP Home SP2 system after upgrading to Gimp 2.2.6

After some testing I've found that it is just Jpegs that are from my Digital Camera. I've downloaded some Jpegs off the internet and can open them but not the jpegs from my camera. I can open them in Photoshop 7.0 or Paint Shop Pro 8 but not the Newest Gimp Download. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on the web and was looking for any solutions to this problem.

I've even tried to open the pictures in another editor and resave them with no luck. What could be the problem with these particular Jpegs?

Thank You for any help you can provide.

The problem is the libexif exe. For some reason the version in the distribution doesn't work right. I found the solution in a bug report thread, and it's easy. I'll post the file you need so you don't have to find the bug thread.

Here's the file

Just download and unzip that file, then copy libexif-12.dll to the bin directory of your GIMP install, probably something like C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin

That should take care of the problem.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Thank you very much. That did the trick. Made sure I gave you a star on that one.

Thanks! It took me some time searching a scrolling thru web sites before I finally found that answer. Fortunately they posted a link to the file. It worked beautifully, and as soon as I saw your message I knew it was the same problem. Since I forgot where I got the file from, but still had it saved, I figured I'd just post it on my site and let you get it from there. Now if anyone else has the same problem and thinks to do a search first, hopefully it will pop up with this thread.

Now if only I could find someone to help me get Inkscape or SodiPodi working right...

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back