Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error on ulinit when su to user

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwings

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
As root I am getting an error message stating:

.profile[22]: ulimit: 0403-045 The specified value is outside the user's allowable range.

I get this message when I do a su - to a certain user, this used to work on AIX 4.3.3 without any errors but now that I have moved up to AIX 5.1 I get this message. Any ideas on how to fix it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

[TT]

What do you have on line 22 of your .profile ?

[/TT]

ulimit -a

Check /etc/security/limits and up the limit

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.

On line 22 in the .profile for the user I get the message for is:

ulimit -s unlimited

I also looked at the limits file and there are no limits set in thee for that user.

Hi redwings,

I think you cannot specify "ulimit" in .profile, assuming you are running AIX version 5.1/5.2.

As root, you can specify the ulimit value for a user using "smitty chuser" or by editing the "/etc/security/limits" file.
Be sure to backup the original "/etc/security/limits" file, before you edit it.

Good luck.

Removing the ulimit lines in the .profile file for the user that i was having the issue with worked. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back