Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

#Error on Empty RecordSet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iliemoo

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
CA
Hi everyone,

I have two tables, one with parts, the other with premium. Some parts don't have premiums. I need to build a query that allows me to add the premiums on to the parts if there is one, but as mentioned before, some of the parts dont have premiums.

I get an error whenever I call the summary table for the parts that do not have a link to the premium table. *I have selected the list all records that exist in the Parts table and list those which are equal in premium table*

For instance if my records were:
PARTS TABLE

exhaust 50.00
hood 250.00
Dash Board 60.00

PREMIUM TABLE

exhaust 5.00
Dash Board 2.50

so when I pull my query up to see the final price of the parts I get something like this

NAME PRICE PREMIUM TOTAL
Exhaust 50.00 5.00 55.00
Hood 250.00 #error #error
Dash Board 60.00 2.50 62.50

What kind of code do I have to write in the query section in order to change this #error into a 0?

Thanks!

I have already tried the...

IIF(isnumeric([premium])=TRUE,[Premium], 0)

but it still gives me an error. Any help would be great!

thanks again!

Hi Iliemoo,
In the query use this, (typed into the top as an expression) this gives just the price if table 2 has no entry. Otherwise it gives the total of the two columns.change table names and fields to suite your tables!

Total: IIf(IsNull([table2]![premium]),[table1]![price],[table1]![price]+[table2]![premium])

or you could paste the following into the sql view of the query.

SELECT Table1.Name, Table1.Price, Table2.Name, Table2.Premium, IIf(IsNull([table2]![premium]),[table1]![price],[table1]![price]+[table2]![premium]) AS Total
FROM Table1 LEFT JOIN Table2 ON Table1.Name = Table2.Name;

regards
Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back