Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error of too few parameters in update criteria of a sql statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryCanuck

Technical User
Feb 17, 2007
CA
I have this line of code to update certain values in a table. I'm getting the error that "there are too few parameters, expected 2". It's a little tricky but I can't spot the problem. Any help appreciated!

Code:
db.Execute "UPDATE [Properties] SET [Discharged?] = YES WHERE [Owner#] = (SELECT [ID] FROM [Owners] WHERE [Municipality] = (SELECT [ID] FROM Municipalities WHERE [ID] = getmunidischarge() AND [Municipalities_Status] = 'NTS Registered')) AND [Properties_Status] = 'Billed' AND [Discharged?] = NO"

I would first replace YES and NO with -1 and 0 assuming Discharged? is a yes/no field. You have us guessing everything about getmunidischarge()...

I recommend code like:
Code:
Dim strSQL as String
strSQL = "UPDATE [Properties] SET [Discharged?] = -1 " & _
  "WHERE [Owner#] = (SELECT [ID] FROM [Owners] " & _
  "WHERE [Municipality] = (SELECT [ID] FROM Municipalities " & _
  "WHERE [ID] = getmunidischarge() AND [Municipalities_Status] " & _
  "= 'NTS Registered')) AND [Properties_Status] = 'Billed'" & _
  " AND [Discharged?] = 0"
Debug.Print strSQL
db.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I gave your code a whirl, thanks kindly for the ideas. Particularly with the boolean values. Your assumption was correct that it is a yes/no field. The "getmunidischarge()" function gets a value from a table, however I've used it in this context successfully before so I don't think it's the root of the problem. For the purposes of debugging it could be replaced by a number between 1-100(that's what it returns). I've tried this without any luck. Still getting the same error message, "too few parameters, expected 2". Any further ideas?

Update, I've gotten a little further with it. The parameter problem was that the field municipalities_status and properties_status should have just been written as [status]. I'm now getting an error that "only one record can be returned by a subquery". Are there ways around this?

I've switched to using an update query to do the same thing. Seems to be working. Thanks for sticking with me!

You might be able to use a totals/group by or TOP 1 query to return only a single record. It's your data so we don't know what it looks like or what you are attempting to do.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back