Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: No logon servers available

Status
Not open for further replies.

SauerC

Technical User
Apr 10, 2001
US
We have two domains: DomainA and DomainB. Inside DomainA, there are two web servers: DevWeb (a BDC) and ProdWeb (stand alone). Using an ActiveX control inside ASP, we want to authenticate NT accounts from either DomainA or DomainB. We setup two way trusts between the domains and everyone is using the same WINS server (which reside in DomainB). DevWeb and ProdWeb have identical DNS settings and lmhosts files

From DevWeb, everything works fine ... I can test username and passwords from DomainA and DomainB.

From ProdWeb, I can only test DomainA. If I try to validate a DomainB account ... I get "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request." If I browse the network neighborhood ... I can see DomainB and it's servers and their open shares, but I can't validate an account!

I'm at my wits end about this ... the machines are almost identical, except one is a BDC (which shouldn't matter). I had similar setup at my last job, and we were validating accounts across domains even from workstations, let alone servers!

Anyone with any ideas??

-Christian

You have installed the domainb first, that makes the trust relationship broken.

I agree with guest123 - re-establish the trusts between both domains. - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20 vision!!

the problem was ProdWeb (a standalone server) was contacting a BDC in DomainA to validate the DomainB account ... nothing wrong with that, that's the way it's supposed to work ... problem was not ALL of the BDCs had the WINS entries to point to DomainB's WINS servers. As luck would have it, ProdWeb was contacting a BDC that didn't have the information, hence "No Logon Servers Available". DebWeb could always do it because it was a BDC...

I found this out this morning by adding the WINS entries to a BDC that didn't have it ... I was going to create a work-a-round to this problem ... and, just as a last ditch effort I ran the test ASP script again and this time it worked!! That's when the light bulb went off! :)

I'm replying to my own post about this just so others may learn from my silliness

-Christian

Glad you answered your own question because I now can solve the exact same problem I HOPE
Thks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back