Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgg

Technical User
Jun 9, 2002
US
Hello Everyone, My friend has windowsME and alot of times when using IE5.5 He gets two different error messages First says IExplorer has caused problem in some .dll i think its something like MSHMT.DLL and the Second one says IEplorer caused a ? in USER.EXE Then you have to click on OK and it shutsdown. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks, Tom PS, i am not on my friends pc now, that why i dont know the exact erroring words! But it is close enough.

I think you mean MSHTML.DLL?

First try to do a FIXIE.
Run MSINFO32 -> Tools -> Repair Internet Explorer
Select Repair, OK.
After it is finished, OK to reboot.

If it still occurs, there may be some spyware on the machine.

Please post back.

WheeDoggy Thanks for the reply, i will try it and let you know, also he did have some spyware on his pc but i got rid of it, I will not be on is pc till next weekend as he lives in another state, will get back to you.

Are you sure you got rid of all the spyware? I used about 5 different anti-spywware programs and every one of them finds something different.

I will double check and let you know as soon as i can, but i am pretty sure i got it all out! Thanks.

You might try the following:
Spybot S&D free
Aluria Spyware Eliminator Free trial 90 days - the freebie can detect but not eliminate spyware, but a knowledgable type can get rid of most of what it finds.

Spyware Sweeper Finds all kinds of things like ads in downloaded files, spyware, etc. The free demo gives you a good idea of its capabilities

Pest Patrol Spyware Blaster last but not least: adaware

I use most of them now, but doesnt hurt to try the others too, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back