Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Messages when submitting email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabase

Programmer
Apr 2, 2004
PT
Hi,

I am not sure that this is the correct forum to be posting this, but as I am only getting the error below when submitting through an asp page, I thought I should post here.

I have tried sending test e-mails from outlook to the e-mail address and get no errors it is only when submitting that the error occurs.

I am using CDONTS object to send e-mails.

Error Message:
Reporting-MTA: dns;WINBASE.dedicated.turbodns.co.uk
Received-From-MTA: dns;DS580.dedicated.turbodns.co.uk
Arrival-Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:31:47 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822;me@somedomain.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox
unavailable or not local

Any help in this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Dabase

It would appear that the mail server you are using to send your CDONTS messages has relaying turned off (most do) and will not send the message. If I remember correctly, CDONTS does not provide for authetication to the server (I may well be wrong on this point).

A couple of options are

1. To enable relaying for your web server.
1. Start the IIS MMC and open the Properties for the Microsoft SMTP service
2. On the "Access" tab, verify that the "Relay" list includes the IP address of your server.

2. Use the CDOSYS object rather than the CDONTS object his allows for authentication. CDOSYS is included with Windows 2000, 2003 and XP. CDONTS is no longer supported in Windows 2003.

Apparently the ISA Server at my client's site was misconfigured, thus creating the problem.

The ISA Server is currently being reconfigured, hopefully this will resolve the fault.

ASPWizard, thanks for the advice.

Thanks
Dabase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back