Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlaflin

Technical User
Jan 29, 2005
US
I am tr5ying to install navisphere 5.1 to configure several clarion c2x00 arrays. I have installed navisphere and when I try to access the array, I get an error message that says Invalid Field in CDB. I have searched all of the documentation that came with the software and can find no reference to CDB. I am Fairly new to this software and equipment and any help with this question would be great.

The options for managing tne array are:
Direct attach = Navi communicates thru the scsi channel
Lan attach = Navi communicates with the lan port on the sp
Serial attach = attach to the serial port on the sp and manage with Navi on a workstation not directly connected to the array via a scsi channel.
To use Navi:
You must have admin priv and be in the priv users list
You must set up the comm channel you're using (Scsi, lan or serial)
CX should be using 6.x Navisphere though, I believe all you lose is some of the definition files (items peculiar to the cx series).
I imagine the invalid field is either the priviledged user is missing or wrong or, the comm channel is wrong.

are the clarrion C2X00? (C2000, C2100, C2300)they are SCSI arrays and they can be managed with a tty terminal or using the serial port with a PC and hyperterminal (or something like this) navisphere is only a plus.

Cheers.

I have hyper termed into this array, but dont seem to be able to do anything to it. It displays the individual disks and information about them, but will not allow access. when trying to manage them through navisphere, the agent configurator will dicover the array, but when i poll the devices it tells me that i have an ivalid field in the cdb. the arrays are c2300 and they are connected on a scsi bus to a compaq 6500 server running windows 2000 server. This thing really hase me scratching my head.

The best way to manage a Scsi array is with hyperterm.

Navisphere is best for fibre arrays.

You should be seeing more than just the disk display. Pressing shift 6 should allow you to move up to the main menu level. From there you should be able to bind and unbind drives.

...but dont seem to be able to do anything to it.

did you hit <esc> or, as maultier posted, <shift><F6> ?? you will get the main menu where you can bind, unbind, configure, etc.

Cheers.

First of all, many thanks to maultier and chacalinc. I found the main menu as you descibed and have been able to bind and unbind the drives as you said. However I still have not been able to format the drives or creatr a usable Windows partition? Any suggestions on this issue.

how did you make the scsi connections? keep in mind that this is a scsi array and the clariion *needs* a scsi terminator. In addition, when you create LUNs, if you created a LUN from SP-A, the LUN gonna be owned by SP-A, so if you try to see it from SP-B you will not be able to use it.

Cheers.

Chacalinc is correct in bringing up the configuration issue. If you have one controller going to one sp, all you will see is the disks that you bound on that particular sp. If you bound all the disks on SPA and your controller is on SPB, you'll see nothing. The controller being used is also important. It must be a differential scsi controller. The Adaptec 2944UW is a common controller used for Clariion.
The terminators on the Clariion must be differential as well.

If the hardware and configuration are correct, you should be able to see the drives in disk administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back