Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulhe

Vendor
Mar 29, 2003
GB
Hi can anyone help me please i am use xp but every time log on i get a error message on my desk top which says windows cannot C:\window\systerm32\service.exe.make sure you type the correctly and try again" can any help please

Extract the file services.exe from your XP CD or a working version of XP and copy it to the System32 folder.

If you can't logon, try Safe Mode or use the Recovery Console to perform the extraction.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

But if you computer is really asking for a file called service.exe (no S), then maybe you should look at this.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

thanks for help but could please tell me how to extract file System32 folder. I have xp recovery cd rom
I have run spbot spyware but i still have sane problem. thank again

thanks ive done that, it scans my systerm (windows file protection) but it finish with out any message

Event Viewer will show any error messages. I wish that sfc.exe was more obvious, but it writes to the Event logs.

Go to Start Menu/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer

In there it will list out the results for the sfc.exe.

There may be nothing. There may be something.
Start, Run, eventvwr.msc
Look under the System folder.

What I am concerned about is that you have the error message wrong, and that in fact the file in question is not service.exe, but a registry hive.

Check carefully on the next reboot.
I hope I am wrong.

To extract (Expand) one file from your CD -

In the Start Run box, type msconfig and click OK. The System Configuration Utility appears.
Click Expand File. The Expand file dialog box appears.

Follow the instructions to select the file to be replaced, then select the file to replace it with and thirdly where to save the new file (which will be the same as the first selection).

On your CD in the i386 folder Services.exe may be called Services.ex_ this will be changed to Services.exe automatically after expansion.

SFC /Scannow, checks all your system files and automatically replaces any missing or corrupted files but may take a while to run (up to 30 minutes from CD) and perform the necessary functions.

MSCONFIG has a one file extraction utility as well.

SFC leaves a report in the Event Viewer (System).
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection

It is defiantly the right message ive look in event viewer and the scan seems to be ok

A friend of mine recently had a trojan installed on his machine that was named service.exe

Trying to get this off his machine using MSN Messenger as our form or comunication was a nightmare.

A combination of

Giant Antispyware (Not available at the moment)
CWS Shredder
Spybot
AdAware

Finally got him sorted but it took several sweeps, so fingers crossed that it is not this.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

As an aside about Giant Antispyware, is Greg up for a refund now that Microsoft have taken it over and intend to release a version of it for free?

There was some fellow at this site who often recommended purchasing this software, I bet he didn't see that coming.

Posted as humor, no offense intended.

:-D, I reckon he was working on the side for giant to get their coffers up before the take over :-D

Thankfully I hadn't purchased the software yet - I had intended to after christmas though.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Microsoft has no intention for the Giant antispyware product to be free. It does intend a new release, and a free Beta period. There will be a subscription required subsequently.

Those who purchase a Giant Antispyware subscription will be grandfathered; those under the 30-day trial will have the opportunity to purchase a renewal.

So there.

We seem to have digressed from paulhe's original post and I hope he finds his answer. As regards the Giant/Microsoft problem I've started a new thread Thread779-973454. I think this is a topic worthy of discussion.

WARNING! New virus! [wink] BILL GATES VIRUS - This dominant strain searches for desirable features in all other viruses via the internet. It then either engulfs the competing viruses or removes their access to computers until they die out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back