Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgill

MIS
Feb 21, 2003
IE
Hi,
I'd be grateful if someone could help me out here.

I am getting an error message from Access which says

'MSACCESS.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.
An error log is being created'

What error log? Where is it? I cant find anything that looks like an error log. Is there a default location for Access error logs, or is there a particular filename or type for these errors.
Please help, It's driving me mad!

It sounds like one of those dreaded Windows memory leak errors. I don't know where the log file is, but I'm sure it wouldn't help you (or anyone) that much.
Does it happen often? Does it only happen with a certain MDB file(s)?
It could be that your database (MDB file) is corrupt or that you need to re-instal Access, possibly even Windows.

Hi,
The mdb file imports data from an oracle database on our production server and generates a report for management.
I have run this against our test database with no problems, and also against our development database with no problems.
It only fails on production. The prod, test and dev databases are all the same size and the source tables have roughly the same amount of data (350000 rows). The mdb file resides on the network, so I have run the procedure on various workstations - all running win2000 - (in case of memory probs etc) and still the result is the same.
I cant find anything out of the ordinary with the source data in Oracle, so trying to find this phantom log file seems to be the logical next step.
I am not really familiar with access and the guy who built this app is on holiday. He has applied some kind of protection to the access database so I am unable to get the sql view of the queries, and I cant run through it one step at a time to see if I can pinpoint the problem.
Thanks for the reply.
All help much appreciated.

I've seen the same thing on a Windows 2000 machine, but we were using Pervasive ODBC to connect to a Great Plains database (SQL Server).

That situation left a bad taste for both Pervasive, and Windows 2000. Even now, we're on a Windows 2000 Server, and half the time I compact/repair a database, I get error messages saying that the database can't be read or is in use. (Thinking its a Windows 2000 server issue, with keeping up with the writes and locks on a file.)

Hi,
Not running win200 server, just the workstations. Oracle databases are on unix servers. Net
Still cant find that damn logfile!

You have to be logged on as an administrator for the workstation in order to be able to get to the administrative tools, which is where the log is viewable. (The log is stored in some kind of log database, I think, not in a plain text file.)

I don't remember how to get to the application error log off the top of my head, and I can't look for it because I'm in Windows ME right now (I dual boot). But start looking in Start Menu/Accessories/System Tools, after you log on as the administrator.

This message indicates you had a GPF, page fault, or other critical error.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Thanks for the replies.
I have managed to come up with a work around for the problem. It's not perfect but at least management are getting their reports again.

Interesting.
As I said previously I have a workaround but discovered the following while testing it.

The app is designed to be user friendly. basically you open the database, are presented with a form, press a button and everything is done in the background and your reports are sent to the printer.
I was able to determine from looking in the macros, the order in which the queries are executed. If I execute them manually one by one the results are:
query 1 works fine
query 2 works fine
query 3 fails, I get the MSACCESS.exe error, access shuts down and no reports are generated.
The strange thing is that if I then re-open the database and then manually execute query 3, it works!

Any ideas what might be causing this strange behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back