Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoulayKool

Programmer
Mar 9, 2006
US
Hi,
Can any tell me why I am getting the following error message:

The expression on open you enterted as the event property setting produced the following error: error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost.
*the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [event Procedure].
*There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro.

Thanks

Are you running this on a machine that has a full version of access?

-Pete

Yes. Also I have access to the database through Network Destop connection.
thanks

I only asked because I have only seen that error when running VBA code in an access application that is running on a machine with runtime. The problem i was having was a missing DLL on the runtime machine, but since this is on a computer with a full version I dont know what the problem could be.

When this error arises is it possible to select debug and it highlight the line of code it errors on?

-Pete

It doesn't highlight any line of code. The Form is using macros to run and you know with macros you can't debug like vba.

I've had this problem before,

Its serious, you have corruption that I do not believe compiling or compacting/repairing will fix. This problem usually occurs over a network and with computers running Windows 98 - I believe the most up to date service packs and up to date VBA version or patches will make this problem not occur in the future.

I have never had this problem occur in XP running Access, I think it does have to do with VBA and your operating system. The only way to fix this problem is to create a new database and import all your items into it. You then need to get your service packs or change operating systems..

My operating system is Win98. do you think that changing my operationg system to xp will get rid of the problem?

I believe so, though the harm done to the database is final, you'll need to recreate the database...

Not sure which is easier though, getting all the service packs for your Win98 or upgrading to XP.

Come to think of it, the service packs aren't too bad. You just need to install them in order. I believe there are 2-3 of them.

Go to Microsoft and Downloads and Service Packs for Windows 98 and follow their instructions. XP might not even run well on an older computer, maybe save that adventure for a new machine when the time comes....

Hi,
would be helpful to just create the objects that we have created in another copied database instead of recreate the entire database?

thanks

If you have a backup and then bring in the tables, sure would work.

Or you can import all items into a fresh new database.

As long as you get away from the corrupted file, the items inside the database should be fine.

Your welcome. Good luck!

Get the service packs for Win98 for your machine and any others that use the networked database, it should clear up your problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back