Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message with Multiple User Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlovel01

Programmer
Jul 16, 2003
US
I put an unsecured database onto a shared network drive. When one user is in the db, another cannot get in because of this error:
The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name> that prevents it from being opened or locked. (Error 3734)

This error occurs when the new passive shutdown/connection control is being used. This error message indicates that a user set the database in a mode that will prevent other users from opening it.
I also set the default open mode to shared.
How do I prevent this from happening?

Is the database split between a front-end and a back-end?
If not, split the database.
Also, do not share the front-end via your network.
Give each user their own copy of the front-end.
Also, make sure each user has the appropriate level of access withing the directory the database is housed in so that the .idb file can be created while the database is running.

I know this sounds weird, but I had the same problem you're talking about and this fixed it.

Hope this helps.

The database is split between front end and back-end. I am working on modifying tags and the way forms look in the front end. Do I need to use the linked table manager when I make local copies on everyone's machine? Should I delete the front end from the shared drive and store it on my local machine? How do I set up the appropriate level of access?
Thanks,
Jason

Your immediate problem will go away if you stop working on the production database while others are using it (that's a no-no). Going into design view sends the database into passive mode for Access 2000+, which is what is causing the problem.

For the long-term, I'd recommend an auto-update method and local copies on each user's machine--the one I am using comes off of -- it uses batch files to keep everything up-to-date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back