Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message when using rules wizard in Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

coposg

Programmer
May 28, 2003
AU
I have looked around for a while but can't find an answer to this question.

We've set up a mailbox to handle email requests, individuals within the organisation will monitor these mailboxes but I'd like to set an auto-reply email up to be sent to everyone who sends an email.

When using the rules wizard, I choose

Apply this rule after the message arrives
Sent only to me
Have server reply using a specific message

And when I enter the details of the message, and try to save and close, I am told

"You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation"

I have checked the user has 'send as' permission, and that the Exchange server is configured to allow auto-replies, can anyone else offer advice as to what I need to check?

We have clients running Outlook 2000 and Exchange Server 2003 SP2

I'm not sure how this combination interacts - the 'local' Outlook 2000 rules are normally stored in a .rwz file under the Documents & Settings folder (see this). Make sure the user has the appropriate write permissions for this folder.

Exchange server also has a facility for server-side rules (that are created by outlook). I'm not sure exactly how the rules are stored with this scenario, but dig around looking for permission or configuation problems with the rules function of the Exchange server.

The fact that your rule says 'have server reply with...' leads me to believe that the server-side rules are in effect, not the local rules. So, that probably isn't much help but might give you a new place to look.

Thanks for the feedback smah, I will check the relevant folder and maybe also revisit the server rules function. Any information I get at this stage is good info, I am surprised by the fact that this seems like a fairly unique problem!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back