Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message: Scanner could not be intialized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees23

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Hey all,

I have a HP scanjet 3400C. Computer is an emachine T6212 with Windows XP Home ed.

I get the following message when opening my Scanner program:

"Sorry, scanner could not be intialized (scanner not found).

I spoke to HP via online chat and they had be uninstall the program and download the software and patch from their site.

When opening up the file for the software (sj652en) I get a winzip sel-extractor an the error is "can't create output file c;\sj652\hpupdate.exe

When opening up the file for the patch (sj651mu) I get the winzip extractor, then HP scanner patch utility "This program updates your HP scanning software you many see a message about "Digital signature note found." You must click yes for the update to install correctly. If I click ok, I get a fatel error. setup unable to continue.

Can someone please help?

Thx,

Have you ever had this scanner working in XP and on this machine before attempting to use the HP patch?

Sometimes I have seen this error occur because a USB connecting cable was loose or not fitting tightly enough.

A couple of silly questions but I suppose they should be asked. Is this a typo or the actual location of the folder(c;\sj652\hpupdate.exe) the c; bit?

Perhaps they have given you the wrong scanner patch, or you have not created the sj652 folder in C:

Have you checked your settings for driver signing under System Properties/ Driver Signing?

Is there any further information in the Event Viewer?

Yeah I have ran it for 1 year. The USB cable is tight. The actual folder is (c:\sj652\hpupdate.exe).

How do I check the settings for the driver singning under System Propertes/Drive Signing? That is all in the event viewwer.

thx again

As an Administrator, right-click the My Computer icon/ click on Properties/ Hardware/Driver Signing, make sure the "Bock" radio button is not selected.

Does the Scanner power up and the lamp come on when you initially start it, maybe your Scanner has just died?

Have you tried to see if System Restore can get you back to a time when you could use the Scanner?

Are you able to test the Scanner on another machine?

What if anything (errors) is showing in the Device Manager or the Event Viewer?

Have you tried uninstalling everything to do with the Scanner and its software and setting it up from scratch via any install CD?

The block radio button is not selected.

The lamp does not power up. How do do I do a system restore? I don't have another computer to test the scanner. No errors in the Device manager or event viewer.

Yes, I have done an uninstall and reinstalled with install CD.

Thanks again!

The lamp does not power up"

Maybe it is a fault with the Scanner itself? Lamps fail, Scanners fail, like all things created by humans.

Ok, I will look into replacing the lamp. If its too expensive then I will trash the scanner. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back