Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message: Properties for this program cannot be verified...

Status
Not open for further replies.

abba11

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
CA
After "cleaning" my files with SystemSuite 3.0 I get the following message as the programs load. In fact they don't load properly until I click on the program from the desktop icons.

" conagent.exe
Properties for this program cannot be verified. The APPS.INF file is missing. Copy the APPS.INF file from your Windows Setup disks into your Windows INF folder "

I am using Windows 98 Upgrade. I can't find either the file or the folder. Can anyone please help ?
PS. Can't find file in deleted file list in SmartSuite either.

Conagent.exe is normally the c:\windows\system directory and is unpacked from the Win98_40.cab File or in Second Edition the Win98_44.cab File according to Microsoft. I think it's something to do with the Dos console.

Apps.dll is normally in the C:\windows\inf directory and is unpacked from the Win98_44.cab File or in Second Edition the Win98_49.cab File. It seems to be a list of Pif settings for various programs.

Hope this helps

I have 2 win98 se computers that enjoy the very same problem. I experienced the same message after the reboot following the "repair" procedure option for IE 6.0. (Control panel/add remove software/select: IE 6.0 and choose remove to see the alternative...to remove, to repair, or to cancel)

I could find no Apps.inf file on the install CD. The file apparently contains the information displayed in the control panel/add remove program/windows setup TAB. The information normally displayed is missing. (BLANK). As long as I don't change the OS in some way I guess it’s not much of a problem.

Things seem to generally work for the last 6 months, but I would like a better option than a reinstall of the OS if I ever have to deal with the issue.

Is there a solution that is not UGLY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back