Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message on Proliant 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Technical User
May 3, 2000
SE
The hardware... Compaq Proliant 2500, pentium 200, adaptec scsi-card with two compaq Scsi-drives (4,3 & 18,2 Gb).
It got Nt server installed and a progress database.

I moved it today from a wardrobe (that´s right) into our computer room. When I booted it up it counts the memory fine and finds and spinns up the drives correctly. Right after spinning the drives it clears the screen and this message appears:

Parity Check 2 - System DIMM Memory

It doesn´t get any further then that.
Why did it stop working all the sudden, It worked great in the closet.
I´ve tried removing the Dimm (one by one) as well as switch sockets. I even tried two other modules. no luck.

Anyone know what this is?
need help rather quickly. This machine needs to be up before the weekend at least.

Nostradamus

From the sounds of it, it seems as thougha card may not be properly seated. ie the card that the memory modules plug into may have loosened itself from the daughter card plug in. Make sure the all the cards and connections are seated or re-seat them and this should resolve the problem. I am leaning toward this solution because you mentioned that you just moved it, and that would be the most likely cause.

HTH

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

I looked over all the connectors, but perhaps I didn´t push that card hard enough. I´ll take a look at it again.

I had to replace the machine with a reserve. So, now I can really look into what the problem was.

thanks.

Nostradamus

You can call compaq 1(800) 282-6672, but I would try blowing the server out and reseating all of the cards... cpu, ram, nic, etc. before I did.

Steve ----------------------------
Steven R. Tuttle
CBE, MCSE, BNCS, DCT, A+
Senior Consultant, ePresence
----------------------------

I have the number for the swedish compaq support (it´s much cheaper that way).
They actually have free support. I was certain they would charge people big time, not that I´m complaining... Way to go Compaq! Do they have free support in other countries as well?
Perhaps I should see if they can solve my problem. I have some other things I want to ask them as well.

Nostradamus

First thing I would like to ask is are the DIMMs in the server Compaq memory. While working for the Compaq Proliant team one thing we ran into all the time was that alot of the old Proliant had third party memory in them. They may work for a while but they almost always fail later down the road. The BIOS is written for Compaq memory only and even certains at that. Also If I remember right they memory has to be placed in pairs. You will have you self alot of heart ach if you have only Compaq parts. Compaq memory is expensive but it is worth it since the BIOS only wants them.

I have three 2500's still in production. When I take them off line for cleaning, I always get this problem. I have to reseat each card a couple of times to get it working right again. Maybe some contact cleaner might help?

Iolair MacWalter

Sandav is right. Using 3rd party stuff gets you into trouble.
I do have to make a remark;
When using A-brand memory which is exactly same as the OEM mem, (like same speed, bank config, EDO, buffered, voltage, the lot), there will be no probs..
My own experience and those of my fellow system engineers

Some things msut be considered though;
Memory should be same:
[*] speed
[*] voltage
[*] size
So called 'matched pairs' are best

second:
Use memory designed for you system. So when it says 3.3v bufferd EDO 's.. thou shalt not use other mem, even if it will work at all

Fourth:
Dont mix the mem-modules. So even if you got 6 x 128MB modules, find the matching pairs and install them pairwise
If you own 6 different types of 128MB modules (like; they all have different amounts of chips) try to find matching pairs ;)
You will get into trouble using them..

Third:
I read at the HP/Compaq site, memory should be placed in following order:
slowest in 1st two banks
biggest in last. (Not the last bank off total banks off course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back