Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message in Windows 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOLLY

Programmer
Jul 28, 1999
MU
A friend of mine is totally helpless with a constant error message when she is working in Word, Excel or any other other program in Windows 95. The error reads thus : 'You have performed an illegal operation. Windows will shut down'. Many computer technicians have tried to solve the problem, but no one succeeded. Any one can help?<br>Thanks.

What is she actually doing before the error occurs? Such as any operations, trying to open a specific document, etc. <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I would do all of the following:<br>
<br>
Close all programs.<br>
Delete all files on the entire C:\ drive called either *.tmp or ~*.*<br>
Delete all files called normal.dot<br>
Remove or delete any files in the XLSTART directory.<br>
Delete FindFast in the C:\windows\start menu \programs\startup folder if FindFast is there.<br>
Run scandisk.<br>
Restart the PC.

Hmmm; have you emptied out your c:\temp\*.* or c:\windows\temp\...\*.* recently? (I suggest the dos method.....<br>
<b>c:\&gt;delete c:\temp\*.* /s<br>
c:\&gt;delete c:\windows\temp\*.* /s</b><br>
<br>
this <i>should</i> take care of several possible culprits for you but, asumming (i Know; so I can't spell) that doesn't work...you may want to try just backing everything up, then blasting the Hard drive with a<br>
<b>c:\&gt;format c: /u /s</b><br>
then re-installing Windows & your back-ups....this normally works on really buggy systems.<br>
<br>
(just be <i>sure</i> to make sure that you've backed up <i>everything</i> you may possibly want to keep.....after you reformat with a /u switch, there's NO going back) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Do you get the white box, or a dialogue box with the details button? If you get the details button, click on it and post what the message says.<br>
<br>
Kris

You can also just try uninstalling and then reinstalling the offending office programs. But usually as previously said by Robherc win95 is pretty fragile and when its gets corrupted you are doomed. A good backup of all you need to keep and then format & fresh install of win95 + all software (assuming you have access to the software) is the way to go. Also win98 second edition is pretty good if you want to upgrade.

If you're interested in upgrading: <i><b>SWITCH TO LINUX, <u><span style=color:red>NEVER</u></span> &quot;upgrade&quot; to WIN98se</i></b> unless you're ready for a LOT of <i>HEADACHES</i>.<br>
<br>
Sorry to shout; just have been having <i>constant</i> problems with Win98se locking up on me & having the &quot;explore.exe has created an illegal stack fault in module Kernel32.dll&quot; problem whenever I mouse-over the taskbar to bring it out of autohide if any 'net pop-up windows are open......along with it deciding to lock up the whole system sooo hard that the power button doesn't even work whenever I try to run internet after having run and M$ programms. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back