Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message in DOS! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAceMan1

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
US
Howdy All . . . . .

Using Win98 SE:

When ever I run a batch file ([blue]even an empty one[/blue]), at the end where the DOS window should close, 75% of the time [blue]I get the following Pop-Up message[/blue] ([purple]in the DOS window[/purple]):
[tt][blue]
* MICROSOFT WINDOWS POP-UP PROGRAM SUPPORT *
* Your pop-up program is ready to run. When you have *
* finished using it, press Ctrl+C to close this window *
* and return to windows. *
[/blue][/tt]

After troubleshooting for several evenings I found I can fix the problem by not loading [blue]EMM386[/blue] in Config.sys.

I can't remove Emm386 as its necessary to maximize conventional memory for some games (my sons Cub Scout group interited 7 machines and I'm running some automation thru batch files).

The batch files run just fine, its just the pop-up interferes with the automation.

[purple]Any ideas on how to keep emm386 and get rid of the pop-up?[/purple]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Have you run anti-spyware apps (eg, spbot, adaware, MS antispyware)?

wolluf . . . . .

Thanks for the reply.

There's no internet connection to these machines. and 98SE is freshly installed.

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

lpbk2713 . . . . .

From my post origination:
TheAceMan said:
[blue]When ever I run a batch file ([purple]even an empty one[/purple]) . . .[/blue]
[purple]This is the kicker![/purple]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

How are ya BigJohnD . . . . .

Excellent!

So windows must somehow set this flag as a blank batch file returns the same pop-up . . . .

Nice Work. . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

This maybe way off base, I haven't done this in years, but are you missing the ^z at the end of the batch file?

Yea, we know Firefox is great. Some of us have customers who have no choice but to run IE, Blasting IE in every post is not helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back