Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message: Credential conflict with existing credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcorrigan

Programmer
Jun 3, 1999
US
I am trying to (re-)attach a notebook machine running Win2K to my office network. After going through the wizard I get the following message: "The computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error has occurred: The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials."

Anybody have a clue as to how to get around this?

is the computer name of your computer the same as one already on the network?
this is usually the cause of that problem

This is a notebook that I take to client sites and use to connect to their networks so I am frequently changing the domain that the machine is a member of (which, by the way, is a real pain, but that's a topic for another time). Then I come back to my office, and reattach to my network by switching the machine to my domain. Generally this is not a problem, but now all of a sudden it is. I just keep getting this error message.

I have also gone into the Server Manager on the Server and deleted and readded the machine name. It still hasn't solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back