Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message at Logon 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsokc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
US
I would get this error message when I tried to logon to my server in the morning:

Application popup: userinit.exe - Ordinal Not Found : The ordinal 175 could not be located in the dynamic link library USERENV.dll.

What the heck is going on?

I'm running win2000 server SP4.

Just doing my job - yesterday I installed SP4 on a Server, asked for a reboot, and have not been able to log on since. Copying files allowed me to boot up in safe mode, but nothing else. Uninstalled SP4 in safe mode and said that it was uninstalled succefully. Upon rebooting system just hangs when applying computer settings - same as before. Should I just let go? Any other ideas before reinstalling?

I had to do the same. A reinstall of windows 2000 totally was the only way I could repair the machine. Luckily had data on a different partition so was not too much trouble
Cheers 4 notes though ppl

For those that are stuck at "Applying Settings" or if the machine is continously rebooting after a failed service pack installation:

(1) Boot into safe mode (without network support)
(2) Logon. If the UserInt.exe error message is received after logging in, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, click Task Manager, click File, click New Task, and type Explorer.exe to load the shell or CMD to bring up a command prompt (see above posts for more details).
(3) Put the service pack CD in or cd to the directory where the service pack is located in the file system.
(4) Re run the service pack (always archive)
(5) After the service pack is done backing up files and installing the new files, it will try to update the IIS metadatabase and FAIL. You will receive a message box with an OK button. AT THIS POINT, PULL THE PLUG ON THE SERVER OR HOLD THE POWER BUTTON IN UNTIL IT TURNS OFF. DO NOT GIVE THE SERVICE PACK INSTALLER THE OPPORTUNITY TO ROLL BACK THE INSTALLATION.
(6) Turn the machine back on and boot normally. You will be able to log in properly at this point. If you right click my computer and click properties, you will note that the General Tab says you are running Service Pack 4. You aren't. Reinstall in the service pack (on the console this time!) and reboot. All is well.

The morale of this story is, NEVER apply a service pack or hotfix through a terminal service session. While it is unexcusable on Microsoft's behalf for the damage done to your server when it fails, it's best not to give them the chance to hose your server in the first place. Sooner or later, it will bite you. :)

The Fix is Very Easy.
Map to your admin share from a good server.
copy the file userenv.dll in to the C:\winnt\systems32 folder.
The good file for me was about 380kb the bad file was 362kb.
(files size may vary by your config).

No reboot required. No floppies to play with. Neat and clean. This process is best especially if you have to worry about NTFS. For times when DOS is just another Dumb Operating System.

If you get the message that the file is in use on the system you are trying to repair. Rename the bad file with a .old extension.[yinyang]

(Disclaimer), I had nothing to do with how Microsoft built this. I am paid by unsavory people to fix the network.
If your system fails your on your own. But this stuff usually works for me.

Now..Like any good CyberDiver, Its time to get wet and go diving!!!

Hi there
I have been running the w2ksp4 by a piece of vbscript, running as a startup script. First it copies the 127,eg .exe to the clients, then it runs it.

In the test lab on "clean" machines, it always works. In the field, about 10% get killed. They fail to reboot at the end. When you force them to shutdown (power button) and re-boot them, they stop with "stop:c0000135" about winsvc.dll
Copying files over (NTFSdos Pro, or by removing the hard disk and using another machine) doesn't seem to fix it. The registry seems ok. Winsvc.dll is there, correct version and in the correct place....but the message says unable to locate .dll

Anyone got any ideas as to
1) why does this happen?
2) How do I fix the dead machines?

Zax

Thanks for your combined help, people,

I had the same problem on a notebook (W2K Pro, SP3 - whereas it seems that for the rest of you it's been on servers). Same error msg as hsokc & others describe, then blue screen only. After finding these tips, C-A-D then Task Mgr then run Explorer, then applied SP4 - problem fixed. Afterwards I found that SP4 install via Windows auto-update had been cancelled by user (because it takes so long & the progress bar doesn't move so it appears to have hanged) - nice to find the cause as well as the solution.

Cheers,
Alistair :)

The solution to this issue is MUCH easier than those of you here have made it.

Simply log in as the local Administrator, you will get the ordinal error message and then a blue screen (not of death, just he blue background screen) but nothing else.

Do a control-alt-del, go to the Task Manager, select File, then New Task(Run...), then type in Explorer.

This should restart Explorer and allow you access to the desktop. From there reapply SP4 and you should be good to go... (This has worked every time we have seen this issue at my company and we saw it quite a bit when we upgraded our servers to SP4)

:)

Oops, didn't read the thread through and saw that my previous post was already posted!! Sorry!!

Also if you need to log in via Terminal Services before you can reboot, use ctrl+alt+end. Now you can goto task manager run explorer and do what you have to do until you can reboot.

Hi Everyone,

I also received this same message and I followed the instructions -> Task manager -> New Task -> Explorer.exe

followed by reinstallation of SP4, and reboot the Server, everything goes well.

Cheers,
libroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back