Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message at Logon 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsokc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
US
I would get this error message when I tried to logon to my server in the morning:

Application popup: userinit.exe - Ordinal Not Found : The ordinal 175 could not be located in the dynamic link library USERENV.dll.

What the heck is going on?

I'm running win2000 server SP4.

Every time I have seen this error reapplying the latest service pack always fixed it. Have you tried to apply the latest service pack?

last night i made the update in my domain server to sp4, the i tried to enter the server by terminal server and give me the same error.

running win2000server.

Reboot the Terminal Server, we had this exact problem and rebooting seemed to fix THIS issue. After this, I added a 3 pack of TCALS that day and now new TCALS are not getting issued out. I have been speaking with MS about this issue and we have gone as far as starting a new license DB and reissue the licenses and they still wont be handed out. Yes, we are removing the TCAL from the registry on the client side and rebooting. I have 20 available ones, but it still issued a temp one today. Any one else see this? I'll keep everyone posted with any new info

Hello, I just attempted to upgrade 2K server from SP3 to SP4. It kept getting copy errors, so I reverted back to SP3. Now when I reboot, and attempt to login, I get the "The ordinal 175 could not be located in the dynamic linklibrary userenv.dll" error. I am not running Terminal Server. The IIS appears to be running, but I cannot get into the system. Anyone else experience this????

Thanks,
Mike in VA

I had to reboot my server and it finally let me in as normal. Try this and it should fix the problem.

Well, Issue finally resolved after 11 hours. Here is what I went thru to get back to normal.

After attempting to install SP4 (Have installed successfully on 3 servers prior)
I had to boot to CD, perform a repair using my ERD.
After that, the system would not boot, saying ntldr not present. I had to create a boot floppy from another system, booted the system and replaced the ntldr and ntdetect files. This got the system running but IIS was trashed. Tinkered with that and got .htm pages to work, but no .asp pages. Ended up uninstalling IIS, then reinstalling and resetting the permissions for IWAN_<machinename> and now all is well.

If anyone else experiences this, please let me know. I would like to narrow down why the SP4 upgrade did not work on this system, as I had upgraded 3 systems prior, usingthe same SP4 file.

Thanks,
Mike

sp4 was applied to 3 clustered servers and after that logon was impossible ( we got the same message as above. ) - we restarted the servers and logon is now possible. it seems that the sp4 install did not completely manage to install itself fully.

the update worked on all servers except servers running terminal server and citrix. ( after restart they work as well )

Hallow:
I got the same problem below and can not login

I would get this error message when I tried to logon to my server in the morning:

Application popup: userinit.exe - Ordinal Not Found : The ordinal 175 could not be located in the dynamic link library USERENV.dll.

What the heck is going on?

I'm running win2000 server SP4.

Can You tell me how to cure it

I have had the same error appear on W2K server after installation of SP4, and after reading the thread decided to simply reboot the server, which seems to have fixed the problem.

Hey tgtcat6 how did you copy that I cant get my desktop to come up. Or if anybody else knows please let me know. After I get the error it just sits there and does nothing I can move the mouse but no icons on the desk top.

Anyday,
This happened to me. That is why I had to create the boot floppy, then I was able to get into the system, after a couple reboots.
Mikeinva

thats the problem i had too anyday. you have to remove the hard drive that wont' load, place it in another system, and copy the userinit.exe file into the \system32 folder. then install the hard drive back into the orginal computer. good luck

I was able to get to a command prompt thru task manger and go to my floppy drive and start userinit.exe with my floppy after I started it with my floppy I my desktop back. Im going to try to copy that file to my hard drive now and see if that works.

tgtcat6,
You do not have to remove the hard drive. Please check out Microsoft article 119467 for creating a bootable floppy.
Mike

I maybe a little off point, but I though MS recommened that you reboot your server every time your update it?! I know I do and I also haven't had any problems with MS updates!!!

Just a thought!

Steve Hewitt

You're not able to access an NTFS drive in dos, thats why you need to remove the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back