Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message 3197 on report and compacting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooby

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
GB
When trying to run a certian report or compact db, error message appears saying me and someone else are trying to do something at same time.<br><br>File is on NT network. Copied to local drive and opened in exclusive use and still got same message <br><br>Advice would be most appreciated<br><br>Thankyou

Have you tried deleting the locking file. That would be yourdatabasename.ldb in the same location as&nbsp;&nbsp;your database<br>

No Locking file shown on NT explorer for Network drive or local drive, inc. show all files option.<br>

I encountered a similar problem. According to the Microsoft KB, the error may be due to corruption of one or more long data type fields (such as memo). The symptom is the appearance of # in a data field. The remedy is to use the compact utility WHILE THE DATABASE IS CLOSED. Since I have linked tables in a networked database, I had to remove all linked references, make a local copy, compact it and then replace the networked version with the repaired version. I received an allocation error during the compacting process, but it seemed to correctly repair all the data and the database was usable.

keithskinner - compacting the database was the trick!

Shame I spent over 8 hours, reading through code before i thought to check tek-tips!

I'm posting a reply to get this back to the front of the forum, in case anyone else has experienced this problem.

Thx again,

Chris

&quot;It doesn't matter how idiot-proof you make it, someone makes a better idiot!&quot;

I moved the networked database to my local drive, i have removed the linked tables, i have compacted my database when closed and then relinked the tables and i still 2 tables with the #deleted data values in it, even though in SQL i can see the data clearly....?

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back