Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Loading a Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menglish

Programmer
Jun 22, 2001
I finished a form yesterday and when I went to edit it today, I get the following error message:

"Error loading file - record number 13 <or one of its members>. Parent: Expression evaluated to an illegal value."

Any ideas about how to avoid re-writing?

Thanks,

Millard

It is likely that you are using an alias in the form control which is not the same as your tables opened. So check the data environment or your code where you open the data files and use the same alias in the control source of the form. (alias names used). that should fix the problem.

:)

In general if you have some error reported for some records number, make a copy of your scx/sct files and open them as a table:

USE copy.scx

Then goto record 13 and look into the Properties memo.

Expression Evaluated to an Illegal Value in regard to parent is odd, as parent is a read-only property, but you may be able to ammend the Properties memo.

Work on a copy, this gives you as many tries as needed to fix the form data.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks Ramani & Olaf. I wasn't aware the .SCX was a table. I can't find the error but I can cut/past the procedures so I don't have to re-write.

Thanks again,

Millard

"I can cut/past the procedures so I don't have to re-write."

No need to, Millard! When you open your SCX as a table, BROWSE it and run the search for the word "Parent" in all the records, in the Properties and Methods fields. Also, checking out the field Parent also won't hurt.

It may be that you are trying to assign the pointer on some object's Parent object to a memvar, or something along these lines.

(BTW, VCX/VCT is also a table, FYI.)
HTH.

Regards,

Ilya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back