Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Linking Tables- "Too Many Active Statements"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budson

Technical User
Nov 11, 2000
DO
I am using CR Version 8 pro and trying to link tables via an ODBC connection.

I occasionally get a message...

ODBC ERROR: [name of database][ODBC Driver] Application is probably trying to use to many active statements at once

I like that it is using the word "probably" Shoudn't it know?

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and whether I need to go to the Database Vendor or is it a CR issue?

Thanks

Al Turi

I dont think this is a Crystal error, although Crystal (or the user) may be contributing by asking the ODBC driver to do something that it doesn't allow.

What database is this?
How many tables in the report?
What join types are used? Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

I also suspect it is the database.

The Vendor is Logic Associates, They make shop-floor data collection systems for the printing industry.

All joins prior to it stopping me are equal joins. They all have the same key.

At the point it won't let me proceed, I have 4 tables, three of which have very few records.

As a matter of practice, should I collect my data for a report using Crystal SQL first? It seems to allow more tables but is a lot more work.

Thanks

Not usually necessary. The SQL designer is for SQL statements that aren't supported in the report designer. You can see the SQL statement used by the report in the database menu.

Any chance that these aren't actually tables, but views created by the vendor?

Can you add the tables one at a time and see where the error occurs? I am assuming you can get one table to function ok? Save a report with one table and use the database menu to add one table at a time to test the failure point. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

I would start by getting the vendor to define exactly what the error message means.
The Crystal SQL Query tool shouldn't work any better/worse, but it does allow more flexibility in editing. Whether that is important or not probably remains to be seen after the vendor defines the message.
I know that "probably" sounds kinda dumb, but I like it better than those error messages that sound certain in the description, yet are completely inaccurate. Plus, it probably provided some amusement :) Malcolm
wynden@telus.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back