Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error installing BIOS!!!! Dell e521 WindowsXP PRO SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2002
US
Hello everyone and thank you for reading my post!

I am working on a dell dimmention e521 with WindowsXP. I was upgrading the BIOS provided by the DELL web site file DME521-010111.exe and failed in the middle on the installation. Now I cannot start the PC at all, I get a blue screen but I can start on SAFE mode. I try to reapply the BIOS upgrade but I cannot get it to go. I get exception code: 0x00000096 Flags: 0x00000000 Record: 0x00000000000 address: 0x0000000100115df.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

if memory serves me try
start in Safe mode
copy bios upgrade file to floppy
cd to floppy
run executable
reboot

Will the machine enter the Bios and allow you to set that to any Safe Defaults? If not, contact the manufacturer and see what options (if any) are available to you.

A couple of dead and dying links here but with some useful information sprinkled in between.

Thank you guys for all your help!

I was able to re-install windows and that resolved the problem! I guess that the problem was in the temp folder in the Hard Drive, before it actually goes into the BIOS chip. I guess I can count my blessings.....

PC is up and running :)

Thanks a million,

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back