Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error in Genscrn 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox007

MIS
May 30, 2001
US
While building an application, an error pops up and I can not find the problem. I have set the builder to display errors but I only get a blank screen. The error seems to be related to the Genscrn program. The message box says, " MEMO file is missing/invalid. Genscrn Line Number: 980. Press any key to cleanup and exit . . . "

After I press any key, the error file displays but it is blank.

Your file is currupt. The related file need to be recreated or restored. This could be in the screen related file. ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

Which file? I have several screen files in the project.

You'll have to either "make a guess" or check for it yourself. A quick and dirty program like the following should help.

* make sure your current directory is where
* the screen files (.SCXs) reside

SELECT 0
fil_spec = '*.SCX'
fil_nam = sys(2000,fil_spec) && get first
DO WHILE !empty(fil_nam)
? fil_nam
USE (fil_nam) && try to open
fil_nam = sys(2000,fil_spec,1) && get next
ENDDO !empty
USE

This program will "die" when it hits the bad file, just check the name last printed on the screen.

Rick

Ok, I had this same problem, with a twist. (FPW 2.6)

Our Fox source files are on a Novell server, my workstation is an IBM Intellistation dual processor running Windows 2000. For some reason, this PC seems to corrupt the .SCX files (the wysiwyg screen forms), resulting in the "memo" error from GENSCRN. This same error occured when simply attempting to open/edit the screen form.

The solution was to start over on a Win95 PC, ERASE all the .SCX files from the project folder, then build the project with the "rebuild ALL" option on (apparently it reverse-engineers the .SCX from the .SPR). We also discovered issues with drive mappings and the project having "hard coded" drive designations - the project must "think" it is in the drive and folder it originally compiled in. Otherwise, we continued to get the "memo" error.

BTW - If running the code above (which I did) ERASES your .SCX files, you most likely have this same issue. (yes, I know there is NO LOGICAL REASON why this should happen, but I repeated the experiement several times with identical results). This cost me 2 day's work to figure out. BTW, common sense here - save a copy of ANYTHING before you delete it.

Another solution is to regenerate your .SCX files from the compiled source code using a decompiler like REFOX. The .SCX are not automatically regenerated, but there is a separate FP app distributed with REFOX that can get the job done. You have to read all the documenation THOROUGHLY to find out about it - check the .hlp file, I found something in the last paragraph on the topic that proved to be the key. REFOX 8.0 can be obtained for about $400.

bradr@prsinet.com

Hi,

I have made a program for regenerating SCX from SPR or PRG file. If You have SPR files with this program You can regenerate scx file. IF You need such a program, mail to me.

Roniz
a.zebrauskas@takas.lt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back