Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error in connection. Network or dial up problems ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

triffe

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
US
We have a user who we have moved to our new Citrix XPe server today. He uses a VPN to connect to us, and he can do this without any problems. I walked him through setting up the application set to our server, and he was able to see icons for the 4 published apps that he is able to use. When he tries to double click on one of the applications, he gets the message "Error in connection. Network or dial up problems are preventing communication with the Citrix server." He can ping the server without a problem and can even connect to an old Citrix server we have, but he just can't get to these new published apps. Other users in his group are able to get into these apps w/o any problems.

Odd thing is that we had another user this weekend with the same problem. We never could get that user's problem resolved, but it was the same error. This user called me this morning to tell me that he started his machine up today, and he did not get the error anymore.

I'm very puzzled. Anyone have any ideas?

Citrix can be very finiky about latency. Depending on how and what type of VPN you are using, the encryption and decryption could be causing latency problems which would make the server seem like it was there and wasn't there sometimes. You may need to do some eval of your VPN performance.

Chris

Problem fixed!!!! Here is what I did in case anyone else has this problem.

I looked in the event viewer of the Citrix server, and every time this user tried to log on, I got a warning in the event viewer: Terminal server cannot issue a client license.

There were plenty of TS Cals available, and in fact, this user was on a Win 2000 Pro machine which had its own TS Cal.

What I found is that the system was having problems locating the terminal services licensing server on my domain controller. This problem is documented on Microsoft's website under Q261110. The solution is to add a path to the registry of the Citrix server to tell it where to find the license server. The article from Microsoft discussed this happening in an NT4.0 domain, but we are in a complete Win 2000 domain, and this solution still worked for us.

Hope this info helps someone else too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back