Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

#Error in Calculated Control on Continuous Form New Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

dftjsn

Programmer
Feb 25, 2002
US
I have a continuous form that contains an unbound calculated control on each record. For the form, AllowAdditions=True so I get the * on the new empty record at the bottom of the form (which is what I want).

The calculated control works properly for all the records in the continuous form except for the new empty record with the * which displays "#Error". Since it is an empty record and the calculated control relies on another entry in that record, I want the calculated control to be blank if the field it draws upon hasn't been entered.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You may play with the IIf function and the NewRecord property, or simply the Nz function.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

How about something like this in the forms OnCurrent event...

If IsNull(me.TextboxName) or me.TextboxName = "" Then
me.CalculatedControl = ""
End If

Randy

How are ya dftjsn . . . . .

= Nz((YourCalculation), Null)

Or

= Nz((YourCalculation), "")

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

The solution was to set the control source equal to a function that passes as an argument the nz([FieldValue],""). In the function, you do the calculation. The return value of the function is the calculation or "" if the argument coming in was "". Now no more #Error on the new record.

You can't do it in the On Current event because it is a continuous form (same with a datasheet).

I tried doing it all with an iif and nz statements in the control source setting to getting around having to use a function, but couldn't get that to work.

Thanks for all your ideas!

dftjsn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back