Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error in a passport8600 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amins

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
BE
I get the following error in a passport8600:

“HW WARNING HwCheck: Fad CRR Failed, Reset swip. Total=1”

Can anyone tell me what it means?
I did not found any explanation in nortel's site.
Thanks

Well you have a Hardware warning of some kind....
CRR= Call Request Retrieval ?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess swip means "switch ip" I'd guess there is a conflict or you dont have one.. or misconfiguration

..check it out.. I'm just reaching into the air though
I'd also try reseating modules (if this is possible)...sometimes you get bogus errors if things arent in just right.. *shrug*

Amins

We were experiencing the same error on a 8600 running 3.5.0 code. We performed every hardware/software test possible. We then opened a ticket with Nortel's customer support. They stated that it is normal to receive those messages occasionally. Don’t quote me on this, but I believe they said it was just the cpu aligning its timers, needless to say we replaced the 8691F cpu. No more messages

Hope this helps
Cog

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence."
-Robert Frost

We've seen this message and a message saying that the tapmux (tmux) ASIC was being reset ("HwCheck: Clock Recovery Failed Reset tmux ..."). The two ASICs are related and the folks at Nortel say that its a reason to be concerned if errors happen more than 3 times in a given 5 minute period or more than 10 times in a 24 hour period. Here's a cut-n-paste of some of their explanation, it sounds like a swip reset is more serious than a tmux reset but that both may happen from time-to-time.

"Clock Recovery Failed Reset tmux on one of the slots - The 'Clock recovery' happens when the timing on the backplane is re-synchronized. For this message,
the clock synchronization attempts failed on the tmux for one of the slots of the switch in concern. This error can occur and if severe enough, the software will take necessary actions to reset the appropriate ASICs (i.e., SWIP and TapMux).

"Each I/O module is connected to the switch fabric via
the backplane; to avoid data corruption the software monitors the data integrity between the I/O modules and the switch fabric. In case an error is detected between these 2 parts, the software will check out the traffic in the next seconds, if there is no new errors, no action will be taken, if a new error is seen the software will reset the switch fabric ASICs (swip) and the tmux ASICs, a warning message saying the swip has been reset will be logged. In our situation, this is not the case, there is no swip reset in the log, which means no data have been corrupted, just clocking/synchronization issue occurred once.

"You would see as well some warning messages in the log in case some data were corrupted (for example bad cells due to bit errors), the conclusion would be the same, which means unless there is a lot of these warning messages it
does not mean that there is a real hardware problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back