Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Importing dBase IV file into Access 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

damotwani

MIS
May 31, 2003
IN
Hi,

I get the following error when I try importing a dbASE IV file into Access:

The Microsoft Jet Database Engine could not find the object 'filename'. Please make sure that the object exists and that you spell its name and path name correctly.

What should I do to resolve this? I have been able to successfully import a text file and a Excel file into the same Access databse. But I need to import dBase IV files.

Please help me.

Thanks!

Dheeraj

Hi, this may not be much help but, is it not possible to export from dBase to either a text / Excel format and then import from this?

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

Hi,

Thanks! How do I export from dBase to either a text or excel file (in code)?

Thanks,

D

Er... Pass,

However this may be a better plan..

You should be able to link to the dBase tables directly.

If you go to Tables - New - Link Table

In the file type drop-down you have the option of dBase IV

Once you have linked to the tables you should be able to append the data to local tables in your db.

I've not actually ever done this with dBase but I have done it with SQL Server....

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

Does your Import - Files of type: pick list include dBASE IV (*.dbf)? If not, you will need to rerun your install of Access and load the required driver.

If it does, then I suspect you have encountered a little known random bug in the combination of Microsoft programs that you are using. I have encountered this with Access 2000 on Windows 98 when importing from a Windows NT network drive. The solution that I found most reliable was to use Windows Explorer to locate the file before opening the Access Import dialog.

HTH

John

Hi,

Yes, the Import - Files of Type pick list includes dBase IV as a file type. I keep getting the same error, no matter what I try. I have Access 2000 with Windows XP. I hope that is not the problem.

Thanks,

D

Check the size of your .dbf file name... .dbf's can't be more than 8 characters... Shrink your .dbf file name to 7 characters and it should be able to be imported to Access easily....

Thanks!

I shrunk the .dbf file name to less than 8 characters and it worked. I am just wondering, why does i have to be a max of 8 chars to be imported while excel doesn't?

anyway, thanks a lot.

D

I don't know the answer for sure, But I think it is throwback to DOS 8.3. The JET SQL for security reasons will only accecpt at maximum a standard 8 character name and 3 character extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back