Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error ID: 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2003
GB
Hi all, i wonder if anyone can help me. Our backups have been working fine for a while but recently they seem to fail once a week. However there is no pattern, so its not like every wednesday. I have cleaned the heads and checked the Media. We have even taken some tapes out of circulation thinking it could be a broken tape. We are now recieving the error message: Error id 7. The description for the event id in source could not be found. It contains the following insertion strings. Could anyone possibly help? Thanks to you all.

Update your Veritas drivers and SCSI drivers
Check the system logs for the ID's 7,9,11 and 15's if you are getting any you have SCSI timeout issues. Why the description is missing in your event viewers i dont know but what you would expect to see is an error desription along the lines "device XYZ\port XYZ\ reported a bad block"
- could be faulty drive, firmware, cables, termination, faulty media, dirty heads (i think you have looked at this already), transfer rate may be too high (can set transfer rate in the SCSI BIOS), flaky SCSI controller

Cheers
Dogmata

Thanks ever so much for that. Got an ISO audit today but i will let you know the results and post them on here for other peoples future use.
Many thanks.

I have found the reason why they have been failing. It is backing up all data however the end result reads failed because Backup exec seems to fail whenever in encounters an open file.

We are not sure why it is doing this. Any ideas?

Cheers

There could be many reasons why it wont backup an open file

a) The file is in use and BE is not able to lock the file in order to back it up(BU).
b) you are trying to backup some DB like SQL, exchange (pub/priv.edb) etc etc. by selecting it at file level.
c) if you want to backup the above online you will have to stop the services and then back it up at file level or, buy the exchange agent sql agent etc
d) if it doesnt fall inot the above, you can always buy the open file option which will allow you to backup open files but note, OFO is not designed to backup DB's online

Also, you should see what its skipping and if you need to back it up or maybe you are backing up through selecting something else. An example:

If you make a BU selection of NTDS.dit (Active Dir. DB) on a W2K DC by selecting it via winnt\ etc etc ie at file level, BE will probably skip it but, you should be backing up the AD DB via the system state components whereit will back it up fine and I guess flushes all the transaction logs associated with the AD DB.

Hope this gives you an idea....or, is it clear as mud :) ?
Dog

This does all make sense. While most files can be read by multiple users simultaneously, if a file is open for write (ie to be modified) by a process (local or remote) then it cannot be read by anything else. The Open File Option (OFO) bypasses this problem, but there are errors being generated here by the OFO which I can't get a grip on.

Thanks for you help.

Sqeak:

- OFO is a subject i know a bit about.

First: what version and build of BE (backup ex.) is it ie. 8.6 rev 3878, or 9.0 rev 4454 ?
- What is the exact entire error are you getting and, is it for a local or remote BU(backup) which fails ? Also, does it fail for all volumes on that server or just one and,does it fail everytime ?
- I also need to know your OFO static volume settings for that particular server (check this through the BE interface, making sure you select the remote server if remote)
_ once i know that info. I will probably need some details of your hard drives volumes ie. size of partition, amount of free space on each volume etc...but we'll see first

Once I know a few more details i'll try to help you out
Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back