Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error from Upcront (IWR ) when running prompted report

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstengler

Programmer
Jun 7, 2002
US
I have an Impromptu report that has three promtps that are populated from the database. It runs fine in Impromptu, but, when I publish it and try to run it, I get teh following error:

GeTemplate iwr_modifyprompts.utml failed. Reason: The content request 'DescribeNewsItem' has failed. The Cognos BI provider (IWR) failed with these messages: Failure occurred while executing prompt job for report d:\vms\digitalnet\publish\DigitalNet VMS\apps\Detail Change Report for Carrier.imr. Reason: d:\vms\digitalnet\publish\DigitalNet VMS\apps\Detail Change Report for Carrier.imr. Reason Error: 0, Generic; Process ID: 736; Thread: 6096; Host: HOU-COGNOS-01; Text: Logon error while connecting the database.; BackTrace Info: 1. File Name: Y:\src\impromptu\ImpromptuServer\app.exe\ole.lib\APPAUTO.CPP; Line#:3892; Desc.:CAppAuto::ConnectDatabase; 2. File Name: Y:\src\impromptu\ImpromptuServer\app.exe\ole.lib\APPAUTO.CPP; Line#:8292; Desc.:CAppAuto::GetPromptsDetailForSpecificReport; ...

I tried republishing, and redone the login/datasource in Access Manager with no different results. As I said earlier, I have no trouble running this report from Impromptu, and I also have a copy of this same report, simply pointed to another database, that works without problem from Upfront.

Ideas?

Sam Stengler

Maybe this'll help you??

From Cognos knowlegde base:

Unable to run an Impromptu Web Reports report.
Error Message (from the Event Viewer) -
Error: 0, Generic; Process ID: 2244; Thread: 2412; Host: IWR_Server; Text: Logon error while connecting the database.; BackTrace Info: 1. File Name: S:\Imp60\ImpromptuServer\app.exe\ole.lib\APPAUTO.CPP; Line#:3316; Desc.:CAppAuto::ConnectDatabase;

Solution:
If this is an Oracle install and the database connectivity software was just installed, reboot the computer.
Also if the TNSNAMES.ORA file resides on a shared drive make sure that the account running the IWR Services has access to this file. The reports will run in ImpServer interactively since the account logged into the server has access to the .ORA file.

Thanks for the info - unfortunately, this doesn't apply. THis machine has been up and running for almost a year, and all the other reports still work.

Running the report from Impromptu, and Impserver, are successful, and all run on the same machine as the Upfront server. It just gives the error when running through Upfront.

Sam

It might be timing out in the Interactive Queue. Maybe you need to increase the number of Interactive processes.

You should try to run the exact same report (on the same computer that IWR resides, ie the server) within impserver.exe.

It's somewhere in de program files\cognos\cer3\bin (or cer2, if you have an older version).

Use CTRL-O to open a report in impserver as it doesnt have the menubar. I think you'll get an error there too, but this error is one generated by the database, which the report cannot login to. (wrong credentials or something??)

I had a similar problem. One of the prompts used another Impromptu report. Once this report was copied to the same directory as the catalog the report with the problem then worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back