Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error escalating

Status
Not open for further replies.

krzyzowiec

Programmer
Nov 9, 2000
US
Can a trigger sitting on a table raise a FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE? If not, how can one display an error message sent from a trigger to the application user?

Since you mention FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE I assume you are refering to Oracle Forms. If you need to raise an application error from a server side trigger use the oracle provided procedure RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR.

If your server side trigger fails, I would assume Forms would fail as well, but this way you can catch the exception and handle it gracefully.

Good Luck,

Bob Bob Lowell
ljspop@yahoo.com

Thanks for your help. I did use the RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR procedure and when a trigger fails a popup window shows some error message but I've got a feeling that a user can ignore it and proceed. What I need is a significant error message for a user. The ideal solution would be to stop the application the same way it would be stopped by the RAISE_TRIGGER_FAILURE procedure. I do not use a custom form. What I've got is an ORACLE built form I'm not supposed to modify. This is why I ran into this problem.

You may catch this database error either in excption handler of calling pl/sql block or in on-error trigger. Just check your specific sqlcode and provide message or alert with your 'significant error message for a user'.

sem, I was told to not change form's code. My trigger does not belong to the application. It's on a server side. When it fails an application displays a message but it is not meaningful. I've been looking for a solution to tell the user that there was a problem. I wonder if there is a way to display such a message at all because it would have to be displayed from a trigger sitting on a server and the application runs on a local machine.

OK, here's the lateral solution. Your server can broadcast a DBMS_ALERT message to users who have registered an interest in the specific message. You can then use the message which gets sent to your client as a var to pass to an error message handler on the client... etc., etc.,

Thanks, I tried this one, too. This is a great tool; however, in order to use it with Oracle Apps, I would have to change the form code by adding DBMS_ALERT.WAITONE procedure to catch the alert message but, as I mentioned before, I cannot touch it.

In some cases after receiving Forms' error message user may get more specific information with display_error built-in. Though it displays all error stack, the message text from raise_application_error also can be seen. Normally it's called by Shift+F1 but shortcut may be changed in terminal file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back