Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: domain not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbrookman

Technical User
Jul 22, 2005
CA
Hello all,

I am using Win2K (old pc) @ my work and received a new pc with Win XP (new pc) on it. When I try to log into the new pc I get the error: Can’t log into domain …. Domain not available. Some one said it might be a DNS or WINS issue. So I compared it to the old pc that gets on the network just fine. All the settings are the same. I am using the following:

- Static IP
- Static DNS
- Wins server
- Check gateway too. Same as old pc

Everything seems to be the same except the IP address of course.

Any advice ?

My server:
WIN2K | Intel P4 | 2.40 GHz | 1 Gig Ram
Thanks in advance
Matt :)

Hi,

Are you naming the new pc the same as your old pc. If yes, make sure that you delete your old computer account from your Active Directory and re-join the new pc to your domain.

Let me know if this helps.

Also, make sure that the IP address of your system is the same subnet as your Domain Controller. If that is the case you should be able to ping your domain and get a reply. Else look into this as well.

Rgds

Opps I JUST sloved it. Was a weird one. Here is what I did.
Logged into New PC as admin. right clicked a program ( you can pick anyone ) and did a run as.. domainname\userid waited for program to start...... logged off and was able to log in as myself. Weird huh.... It's my companies image so it's XP with some of my companies touches. Thanks for your help.

My server:
WIN2K | Intel P4 | 2.40 GHz | 1 Gig Ram
Thanks in advance
Matt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back