Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Deploying .exe File on Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSUIVERSON

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
US
I am sharing a program that connects to a shared network ACCESS DATABASE. Initially the user could not open the file because he did not have some components installed on his machine.

"msadodc.ocx or one of it dependancies not correctly registered : a file missing or invalid

So I received advice to use the PACKAGE and DEPLOYMENT wizard. I did this for the application and then set out the SETUP.EXE file.

The user then received the following error:

Setup cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\name\Desktop\Setup.LST

So I sent him the .lst file that was created with the SETUP.exe program and had him install it on his desktop and run setup.

Then he received the most recent error message:

Please insert disc 2

So now I am just confused. Can someone please help!!!

Thanks in advance...this place is always the best...

When using the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW) specify that you want a single .CAB and when it is created distribute all three files: setup.exe, setup.lst and <projectname>.cab. All three files will be in the package folder specified earlier in PDW.

Andy
&quot;Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic.&quot; -- Pierre Boutroux
&quot;Why does my program keep showing error messages every time something goes wrong?&quot;

Setup fatal error: Unable to generate installation log file

* That is the latest error message I receive when I do an install from setup.exe.

Perhaps check out vbPowerWrap. It lets you embed your entire distribution in one EXE file. No install required. Just copy EXE to desired location.

Very cool tool (I do not work for them).

Thanks,

Michael42

Excellent advice. If you are familiar with that product when I create the bundled .exe file I receive the message

&quot;ERROR ACCESSING THE OLE REGISTRY&quot;

When attempting to run.

Thanks again for the continued help!

This tends to happen I think on older OS's like NT4 or Win95 when vbPowerWrap registers the OCX(s) for the first time.

On my older systems this only happens the first time the app is run, then (once registered) it never pops up again. :)

You can always contact the vbPowerWrap folks if this seems unique to your environment. If you find out different from them in your case please post - thanks.

Take Care,

Michael42

Thanks again.

Most of the machines ran the .exe programs perfectly.

I appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back