Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error copy exe to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisaz

Programmer
Aug 23, 2000
US
I've been out of the programming loop for a while, but am updating a system. After I create the exe file at home, which I copy to a disk and drive it to their site (because they are too cheap to buy a modem!) I then try to copy the exe to the correct directory on the network, but I get the following error.

Blade is the name of my exe

Cannot Copy Blade: the system cannot read from the specified device.

What am I doing wrong? I can copy other files, but not the exe. The disk is not bad, because I was able to copy to my other computer at home.

thank you in advance.

I'd suggest that it's their floppy drive. Either both your systems are out of alighnment, or theirs is. Since an .EXE is going to take more room on the disk that the other files, it's more likely to have a problem if they have a head alignment problem.

If both you and they have a USB port, you might want to consider getting one of those USB drives. They handle much more data and are usually faster and much more reliable than a floppy!

Rick

Since I'm making next to nothing on this, I really don't want to invest in anything. I probably could burn it to a CD, because one of their machines has a CD on it. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something I was forgetting to do, when I created the EXE. thank you for confirming that it must be a drive.

thx

The USB pen drives are very cheap. I suggest getting one if you're working with clients or sharing data from pc to pc. I have had a couple of them and I love them. The very fast and reliable.

You can search the web, go to any computer hardware site, or even purchase them at the local Office Max type of stores. I bet they are even carried at kmart, walmart, etc.

I believe the last one I purchased, 128mb, was about $30.00.

Again, you can use them over and over for multiple purposes.

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back